Installing Oblivion on MacBook Pro

chasingcars

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I found another internet site which pointed me towards this forum. I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me with this problem:

I bought a copy of Oblivion last year (game of the year edition), only to discover none of the computers in my house could run it. I planned to get a new laptop anyway, so I kept it instead of selling it. Now, I have my new laptop, but it's an Apple. Specifically, it's a brand new 2.53ghz Macbook Pro which was only released a couple of weeks ago. I've had Windows XP installed on it via a program called VMware Fusion, and it works fine. Considering that the laptop is brand new, I'm sure it should be able to run any game I bought a year ago.

However, when I attempt to install Oblivion, it seems to stop. The installation wizard works fine, but when I get to the end and click 'install', it comes up with the progress bar in a tiny window with the progress at the very start... and then doesn't appear to install the program. Instead, the progress bar just stays at the beginning, and the CDROM seems to stop whirring. When I click cancel, it also does nothing, and the only way I can get out of it is to control-alt-delete it. There are no error messages - it just doesn't seem to install.

I paid about $90 for this game and really want to be able to play it. Does anyone know how they can help me? I'm not very tech-savvy at all, so please advise me in layman's terms. Windows XP was installed by professional technicians for me, and I know next to nothing about VMware Fusion, save what I need to do to open Windows.

I've read some other topics in this forum and keep seeing the name "Cider" popping up as potential solution, but I can't seem to find out what it is (I'm no good at deciphering technical jargon, you see), or where to find it. I'm really hoping there's some way I can do this without calling in the technicians again, because it costs hundreds of dollars each time - more than the cost of the game! I'd be so grateful for any help you could give me.

I consider Oblivion to be a rather graphics intensive game. Unfortunately VMWare emulates a much weaker graphics card that what's really in your computer. For this reason, I don't believe the game will work at all, even if it did install. I've heard of people getting Oblivion to run on a Mac by using Cross Over Mac instead, but if I were you, I would reinstall Windows through Boot Camp so that you can boot the computer directly into Windows without using VMWare. If you do this, then you will be able to boot the same install of Windows in VMware that you have on boot camp, so you will be able to quickly get to Windows from within Mac OS X without rebooting for other Windows tasks, and then when you want to play Oblivion, just reboot into Windows.

I recommend this because I don't know what difficulties you will face going the Cross Over Mac route. Good luck.