Mac treats my MP3 player like a hard drive with trashes and ._ duplicate files bricking my MP3 every time

Elad Nava

3 posts in this topic

Hi community,

I finally managed to get Mac to recognize my MP3 player by flashing its firmware to UMS (MSC). This means that it operates like a USB flash drive so that any operating system can read and write to it.

Problem is when I transfer songs to it and maybe delete something on it in the background it creates hidden folders like .Trashes and .Spotlight_****** that seem to be bricking my MP3 player, a message comes up "You need at least 10 MB of free space for normal operation" where I have 2GB of free space on it...

I was able to avoid the bricking by running commands in the terminal every time I was to disconnect the MP3 player to remove any hidden files that start with "." this seemed to work but once you forget to do it once the player is done for, it MUST be formatted completely to work again, not even removing those folders again will help or resetting the MP3 player. And I'm getting tired of transferring all my music over and over again just because of this stupid incompatibility.

Info: MP3 player is a Samsung YP-T10 MSC (UMS firmware)

So my question is how can I avoid this mess, is there some application that will allow me to transfer files to the MP3 player not through the Finder or through Apple's way of doing things but manually so my MP3 player doesn't get bricked? There must be some way... :)

Thanks,

Elad

Okay I found KopyMac apparantly it should take care of my problem, testing it out now I don't really like how I can't see file transfer progress but if it works then great.

Update: Okay KopyMac worked only problem is it copies to / and my MP3 needs the music copied to /Music/... So I moved it with Finder and then manually removed the hidden '.' folders again it seems to work now. :( But I'm not sure I need KopyMac at all if all it does is copy, I can copy with Finder and clear the hidden files with terminal...

• 1 year later...
Okay I found KopyMac apparantly it should take care of my problem, testing it out now I don't really like how I can't see file transfer progress but if it works then great.

Update: Okay KopyMac worked only problem is it copies to / and my MP3 needs the music copied to /Music/... So I moved it with Finder and then manually removed the hidden '.' folders again it seems to work now. :( But I'm not sure I need KopyMac at all if all it does is copy, I can copy with Finder and clear the hidden files with terminal...

Hi Elad, thank you for your post. I have the same problem and don't know much about commands on mac. Could you please tell me how do you do to see hidden files and remove them from your mp3 player (or drive) in terminal? Or is there another way of doing this?

Thank you,