EVGA 680i sli with 10.5.7 and vanilla kernel 9.7 (working)

MadFalcon

27 posts in this topic

• 8 months later...

---GUIDE---

Before i start with the guide, let me write my system configuration and what I was planning on doing.

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.66GHz Quad Core (Overclocked to 3.23GHZ)

Ram: 6 GHZ 800MHZ Ram (2x4Gig Patriot) + (2x2Gig Corsair) (don't ask why...)

Video: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Superclocked (x2 but only one hooked up right now)

HDDs: Too Many... Sata & USB... But the ones that probably matter are a 150gig WD Raptor with Vista x64 and 1TB WD My Book USB external on which Mac OSX is running on.

Okay before i start i want to explain that i bought the MyBook for extra storage space and was partitioned as NTFS. when i decided to install osx i used drive manager in vista to shrink the drive (also known as resizing a partition). then i reformated 250 gigs into another partition so technically the data is on first partition and the 250 gig space is on a second partition on an external... So when you read that you have to use a whole disk or use a primary partition or blah blah blah.. no.. you don't.. you can do it how ever the hell you want to do it. It will just overwrite your boot loader for that drive... but nothing is ever really 'messed up'. It does make the process simpler and faster if you already have the partitions setup and formated. It doesn't matter what file system the osX partition is in because you will later change it. What i'm getting at is that it's better if you don't mess with partitioning the drive in Disk utilities during OSX installation. On my USB drive i had 700gigs for data partition and the on the second partition i had 250 gigs formated as NTFS and named 'OSXUSB'. I had done this before i ever went into the installation for OSX. It made it easier later to find it without me having to go through my 10 other hard drives and guessing which one it was.

What i used to install osx was "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PP5 Final". Ofcourse for legal purposes.. umm i can't tell you where to get it, and to protect my ass i will also let all the apple lawyers know that i own a new mac mini (happily being used by the wife) and have a licensed copy of leopard (which is just sitting on my desk and is not installed on the mac making the unused license legal for me to use).

Download iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PP5 Final

Download 10.5.7 Delta Update

Burn the update on a disc

OR

Put it on a harddrive in your system that you're not installing osx on.

---Preping the System

-Bios

First of all update your bios... it solved a lot of my initial issues. The latest Bios is almost a year old and it's P33. So it that's what you have good on ya. if not, update your bios.

In your bios goto Advanced Chipset Config -> CPU Configuration.

Set CPU Thermal Control to [TM1 & TM2]

Set C1E Enhanced Halt State to [Disabled]

Set Execute Disable Bit to [Enabled]

Set Virtualization to [Disabled]

Set All cpu cores to Disabled there should only be one core enabled by default that you can not turn off.

Since i have a quad core, i disabled cpu core 1, 2 and 3. cpu core 0 was enabled by default and i couldn't change that.

---Installing OSx

You should have already burned ipc image on a dvd. if not, u can still do it.. Once you're done Pop in the DVD and at boot either it'll boot from the dvd drive or you'll have to pick it. in Either case, i usually just press ESC and pick my Xbox HD-DVD drive (connected using USB to my PC) and it asks you to press any key to boot from CD.. go ahead and do that.

note: From my experience many distros crash at this process so no one can really follow the tutorial any further lol. That happened to me when i was trying to get osx running on vmware. There's many things you can do to avoid this from happening. If you have many harddrives like me.. disconnect all your data holding drives. leave only the drive you're installing to in the machine.. if you are installing on an external, Disconnect all other drives. If you have any extra PCI cards remove those. All you really need in your computer is CPU, RAM and a video card to boot up. If you are unable to boot using those, reset your bios default settings, disconnect all USB {censored} you have hooked up, except the drive you're installing to and keyboard and mouse. Pretty much what i'm getting at is that you want to install your system as bare bones as possible to avoid conflict... LUCKILY for me and my board i didn't have to disconnect anything what so ever and i booted right into the installer.

Once in the installer,

1. Pick Your language and press next arrow
  2. once the welcome screen pops up and the menu bar at the top shows up, Click on Utilities and pick Disk Utilities.
  3. In the Disk utilities section You will see all your physical drives and the partitions within. Pick your disk or partition and format accordingly. I'm not covering this subject because it is the same across the board and you can find this information every where on these boards. IF you do have any specific questions about what to do in this section, please post your problem and what you're trying to accomplish and i can give you suggestions and help.
  4. Once your drive or partition (in my case) is Erased/formated as the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Format. Close Disk Utilities.
  5. Now you should be back on the Welcome Screen.Press Continue
  6. You should be on a Screen where you have to pick your drive. There should only be one drive or partition listed and it should have a Green Down Arrow in the picture. That means that drive is in the correct format for installing OSX. If you have multiple selections here With those green arrows, that's find too. Just make sure you pick the one that you initially intended to install OSx on. That is why it helps to remove all other drives from the system. Now Select the correct drive and press continue.
  7. The Next Screen that pops up will be the Install Summary Screen. On this screen you will click on Customize.
  8. Here you will have items:
    iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System (Already Checked)
    Language Translations
    iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3
  9. Expand iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 and Pick the Following:

Drivers--->Chipset Drivers--->AppleNForceATA nForce Drivers
    Fixes and Patches----->DSDT Patches--->Patch DSDT
    Fixes and Patches----->AppleSMBIOS Patch--->AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 xxxMHZ
    Alternate Bootloaders--->Chameleon with DSDT / Custom Boot Picture
    Applications--->pick ALL Applications except "Marvin's AMD Utility"

10. Click on Done
  11. You should be back to Install Summary Screen. On this Screen Click Install and go do something... Actually on second thought, Don't do something, sit there and watch it... Because you have to take control before it automatically reboots. You want to control the first boot into the system. So just sit there and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't restart without you.
  12. Once installation is done and it starts counting down to restart, you can either let the countdown finish or Click on restart yourself.

Note: In Step 9, the xxx is the MHZ that you have your ram running. I strongly suggest you pick 800MHZ even if you're running higher. ofcourse if you are not running 800MHZ ram sticks then pick the speed your ram sticks are running at.

End of Installation....

When the computer starts rebooting, press DEL to get into bios.

Now if you had one drive that you partitioned into two or more and one partition already had another OS (such as vista) installed and you installed OSx on another partition then your boot loader has been replaced by chameleon.

If you have installed on a completely seperate drive then your original windows bootloader probably didn't get modified and when the computer starts it'll start back up with whatever your first boot device is.

So take out the iPC dvd out of the dvd drive.

You should still be in the bios. Once you have the dvd out of the drive. Restart your system and press ESC to get the boot menu of the motherboard.

Pick the Drive you installed OSx on. It should load up Chameleon and prompt you to press any key while it counts down. Press any key to interrupt the count down and Go into the boot loader menu. Make sure the correct drive/partition is selected and type the following: -v -f and press Enter.

You shouldn't need to type 'cpus=1' if you have all your cores disabled.

The -f switch will force it to load ALL the kexts. Please be advised that we have nothing but a bare system at this point, the ethernet/sound/video etc will not work because we did not install any of those drivers. Only thing modified that is installed here is the chipset driver. and the SMBIOS patch. We did this so that we can get our system to boot up with minimum modifications.

Note: Here's another step that many systems will stop booting. You should not have any problems here because we have a bare minimum system with nothing special loaded. Also we only have ONE core loaded so there should be absolutely NO problems. Please post back here if you have problems at this step. Also be advised that sometimes it will look like it's paused and isn't doing anything but it is. Unless you see a kernel panic. In which case there's a problem. But like i said there should be no problem due to the fact that we are so bare bones here.

Now hopefully you should be seeing the "welcome to OSX" video (choppy as hell since no drivers are installed). After the video it's the usual registration {censored}. Go ahead and fill em out. Make sure you set a password for your account. Once you are done, you should be at the OSx Desktop.

Congratulations you are done with installing a barebones 10.5.6 vanilla installation with nothing working lol.

--Preparing for 10.5.7 update

At this point we are going to set up some things to help us if our update for 10.5.7 fails to boot for whatever reason. If you look at any updating tutorials they will tell you to backup your kexts and kernels and all this other stuff. Which is a good idea if you've been using 10.5.6 for a while and have a lot of things in there.. It's not necessery to do that if you are following this tutorial. Although I do suggest backing up the current kernel so that you can boot back into osx, if the 10.5.7 kernel fails for whatever reason. So we are going to do that first.

If you have installed all the apps as Step 9 above suggested, then you should have a really amazing utility called "osx86 Tools". It should be in "/Applications" either there or in "/Applications/osx86tools" either way it's in the applications folder somewhere. Run that application and Click on "Backup Kernel(mach_kernel)". It will ask you what drive you want to back up from. Pick the drive where you installed osx. Then it will ask you where you want to back up to. and once again pick the same drive. This will create a file named mach_kernel.backup. You can go to your root drive and check to make sure it's there. Since i am not on my mac right now, i can't look at it. But it'll have the words backup somewhere in there. I'm pretty sure it'll be called mach_kernel.backup. You can rename that to backup_kernel (no extension) if you so choose. This will make it easier to switch kernels at chameleon without actually replacing the kernel. Now this backup kernel is the 10.5.6 (9.6) vanilla kernel. Since you already booted into osx with this kernel. You KNOW it will work... right? lol

The Second utility that you need to run is called DSDT Patcher GUI. This step maynot be necessery. I did it anyway and my system is working. I don't know if this had any effect or not.. so i'm including this bit as well. DSDT Patcher GUI tool should be in "/Applications/DSDT Patcher GUI". I know that it's in /Applications in a folder of it's own. It may not be named as i named it above. I'm not on my MAC so i don't remember the exact folder but you will know it when you see it. Anyways, run the utility. Place a check next to New HPET Option and Apply DSDT Patch to: and underneath will be a list box with all your drives. Pick the drive that you have OSx installed. For me it's OSXUSB cuz that's why i named my partition. Now even if Darwin/Mac OS X has a dot next to it, click the dot again as if you were selecting it and click Run DSDT Patcher. It should start doing it's thing and should complete with no errors. A couple of warnings is ok. I recieved one warning. If it got errors then it didn't compile thus didn't install. Thus I'm not sure what's wrong. Post back with details and i can look into it.

---10.5.7 Update Installation

Now either pop in the CD that you have burned the Delta 10.5.7 update to, or goto whatever drive you saved it on and find it. Or you may have saved it on a USB stick, in which case, pop that baby in. Double click on .dmg file to mount it. Once it mounts, it should auto start. Follow the instructions and don't change any settings just keep clicking next. Wait for it to be done and it will ask to reboot. At this time, go ahead and once again click on reboot and let osx finish doing it's thing and it will restart your system.

At boot once again, press ESC and pick the drive you installed osx on. At the chameleon prompt press ANY key to interrupt it. Make sure your OSX drive/partition is selected and type: -v -f and press Enter.

The -f Switch will force the loading of all kexts once again. Now at this point i thought that the chipset patched driver and the SMBIOS memory patch kexts were also removed.. but for whatever reason... they weren't, and the system will (should) once again boot back up. I did notice that the update made it faster to load everything. The same might be true for you too. You shouldn't have any problems getting back into OSx.

If everything worked and you are sitting at the desktop again, then congratulations you are now running 10.5.7 with a vanilla 9.7 kernel with nothing else working. But hey that's a good start right?

--Making things work...

Now so far we have a very vanilla 10.5.7 OSx installation but nothing works and that is not what we want. So click on the Apple icon on top and shut down the computer. As it's doing it's thing to shut down. Load up iPC 10.5.6 dvd again. If the dvd drive doesn't open, no worries Mac monopolizes your drive.. just wait till it shuts down your computer and then as you're starting back up, put the dvd in.

NOTE: Now here the instructions are SPECIFICALLY FOR MY BOARD.... If you have something a little different.. a different revision maybe an asus 680i board.. whatever. You want to make sure you know what components are in your system. Find out what chipset your sound is specifically if you want to get it working(Mine's ALC_885).. and ofcourse your GPU will probably be different too, so find out thru these forums, as to what will work with your card. I'm assuming you have the same board as me and the same video card as me (8800GTX).

Okay with that out of the way, As you're booting, press ESC to select the boot drive. Pick your dvd drive with iPC dvd loaded. and press Any key to load the DVD installation.

Once it's finished loading. It will give the screen to pick your language again.

1. Pick your language and click the next arrow
  2. At the Welcome screen click Continue
  3. At the Select a Destination Screen, pick the drive/partition you have OSx installed on and click Continue
  4. At the Install Summary Screen Click Customize
  5. REMOVE THE CHECK NEXT TO iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System
  6. Expand iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 and Pick the Following:

Drivers--> Video Drivers --> NVIDIA --> NVDarwin 768MB
    Drivers--> Audio Drivers --> ALCxxx --> ALC_885
    Drivers--> Ethernet Drivers --> nForceLAN Driver
    if you were having problems with restarting/shutting down then pick:
    Fixes and Patches --> Shutdown / Restart Fix
  7. Once you are done picking all those options, the "Space Required" should read something in the MBs something like between 6 to 20 MB. What i'm getting at is, IT SHOULD NOT BE in the GBs. All you're doing is installing patched kexts on top of what you have in the system already. Now Click Done
  8. Click Install on the Install Summary Screen
  9. Wait for it, should take like 2 minutes.
  10. Now it'll ask to reboot... Do so, and yes we are once again going to interrupt the reboot process..
  11. Same as before as your computers reBooting, press ESC and select the drive your osx is installed on, as the boot drive.
  12. Press Any key when prompted to stop the chameleon boot loader.
  13. Type: -v -f and press Enter

Now it will once again reload the kexts (along with the new ones we just installed) and once all the kexts are loaded, you will start seeing that it will start recognizing things. You will probably see the two ethernets and when nvdarwin kicks in you will see info from your graphics card. Sometimes it takes a long time Trying to write something to some kinda cache, i don't know. Either way, leave it alone unless you get a kernel panic. You shouldn't get a kernel panic, but if you do, post here and i'll try to help you. Anyways once everything loads up it will take u to osx desktop.

The resolution should have automatically changed to your monitors native rez. which means your graphics card is working. You should see a sound icon up top, which means sound is working. If you try to go on the internet... it won't load up any pages... To fix this, Go into System prefrences and Network and you should see both of your ethernet ports. One will have a green light next to it, denoting that it's connected. But there will be no IP there. Click on the Ethernet port and change the setting from DHCP to anything else, and change it back to DHCP and it should start working.

Congratulations, You now have a 10.5.7 OSX installation with the 9.7 Vanilla kernel. Only problem now... You're running only one core.

As i had mentioned in my above post that your processor might be compatible with mac, and would probably work if you enabled the cores. So after all this is done, here's what i would do. restart your computer...

Go into bios and enable one core at a time if you have a quad core. If you have a dual core, then enable the 2nd core.

Now boot back into OSx drive and once again at the darwin prompt, type: -v -f to reload the kexts (you don't have to do this everytime, i like doing it whenever i change something major) now if you're lucky it will boot right into OSx with both of your cores enabled and you will be a happy camper. Be aware that i had been successful in booting into osx with 2 cores but it would lock up in the first 5 minutes. so the best thing to do is let it do something semi CPU intensive to see if it will lock up. I would use uTorrent to download a fairly large (legal) file and leave it overnight to make sure the processor and the ethernet are working fine and you are not having the same problems that most people are having.

If you are unlucky and aren't able to get past kernel panics with 2 or more cores enabled, then don't despair, there is a fix. There is a modified 9.7 kernel out there. I think it's ANV 1.4 or something like that i don't remember it off the top of my head. But if you google "osx86 9.7 voodoo kernel" you will be able to find it. (it's not voodoo kernel, but that's how i usually find it).

With the above mentioned kernel, i have all 4 cores active and i have been able to not only install iphone OS 3.0 sdk with the new xcode but i've also compiled all samples in mac and everything works flawlessley. I had read that many people were having problems with ilife09.. so I 'borrowed' it from a friend of mine, installed it, and tried Garage band, imovie etc etc and they all load and work fine. I uninstalled it afterwards, but i'll probably end up buying it later on since my wife is in love with it now. I also installed WoW and, it works as well.

So please, post back with your questions and i will try to answer / help you in any way that i can. I am not an expert in ANY way shape or form. I have simply stated the steps that i took to get to where i am. A Fully functional 10.5.7 install on a 680i SLI motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your guide it helped me install 10.5.6, update it to 10.5.7 and now the tricky part which is the one I need to use the big nForce guide for to upgrade it to 10.6.3. Cool bears and I do have a brand new Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disk, plus a laptop running 10.6.3 Mac Pro laptop that is just in case people are wondering. :thumbsup_anim: