Best way to run Snow Leopard Virtualized?

7 posts in this topic

I dont know if I am allowed to talk about this in this forum or at all but,

Is there anyway I can run Snow Leopard in a virtualized environment? I am a legit ADC member but I cant install since the only real mac I have is a iBook G4. I have tried installing on both my hackintoshes but it immediately panics on bootup.

So. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

• 3 weeks later...

get the latest version of VMWare fusion 2.0.5. It was released June 23. It has the following new features.

Provides experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server as a guest operating system (32-bit only)

Provides experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as a host operating system (32-bit only)

get the latest version of VMWare fusion 2.0.5. It was released June 23. It has the following new features.

Provides experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server as a guest operating system (32-bit only)

Provides experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as a host operating system (32-bit only)

so can we use snow leopard client as a vm in vmware? or just server? are there hacks to do it?

so can we use snow leopard client as a vm in vmware? or just server? are there hacks to do it?

This is off the top of my head, so forgive me if it's incorrect...

OSX's licensing allows for OSX _SERVER_ only to be run in a virtualized environment. You can have the host machine as a standard or server version...

I realize that not everyone is concerned with the licensing terms...but VMWare is. So out of the box you're probably looking at only being able to run OSX Server.

Though if you're here, that's unlikely to be much of a hurdle for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to try and figure this out as well... I'm trying to virtualize 10.6 in VMware Fusion 2.0.5 (173382) running in an already-installed mac os x.

I haven't had any experience installing leo on a vm, just on my physical hard drive... but after the weeks and weeks of trial-and-error that it took to install leo successfully, I decided i'd rather start 10.6 on a vm and save myself the frustration.

does anyone have any idea where to start with it? Like I said, I am in mac leo right now with VMware Fusion. As pointed out above, it only allows you to install the server os x... anyone have a workaround for this??

Since leopard and snow leopard are fairly similar, you might be able to use the same guide for leopard and apply it to snow in this situation. I think all it takes is a few edits to some files either in vmware its self or the dvd for leopard; either way, I don't think it's anything major. Let us know if you have success.