Jerky, Inverted Mouse on 10.5.7

21 posts in this topic

Recently, I installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 from a retail disc, updating it to 10.5.7 - all worked after a few days of trying - and today, I decided to install the one thing I was afraid to try: graphics drivers. So, I decided to go down the route of EFI strings, adding them to my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file. Rebooted, crossed fingers, and was greeted with full resolution, but no QE/CI. I also had a really jerky mouse - it stuttered everywhere and was virtually uncontrollable.

So, in pursuit of a solution to that problem, I booted with cpus=1, and was greeted - to my surprise - with full QE/CI and an almost fixed mouse. Now, however, it is actually inverted - move it up, cursor goes down - and is still very unresponsive and jerky.

The interesting thing is that the mouse is fine for about two or three seconds when the OS first boots, after the dock and menu appear. Then it goes wild for a few seconds, and eventually settles down into a jerky, inverted setting.

I have already pulled the AppleUpstreamClient.kext - I forget the exact name - and tried setting my FSB via boot flags, which is still in effect. I also have to boot with -legacy, or it doesn't start.

Another interesting effect is that if I attempt to do anything graphically-intensive, like opening a new tab in Safari 4 (because of the Top Sites thing, which utilizes a 3D interface), the computer will lock up - but the mouse will still work. And it'll work properly. When this happens, I'll have full, proper mouse control for about 5 seconds, then the screen will flash black, and the problem will return, and then another five seconds will pass, the screen will flash black, and the mouse will work properly. Etcetera, etcetera.

I've completely exhausted my Google-Fu here, so, anyone got any suggestions?

OS X 10.5.7 - Retail install with Boot132/Chameleon

AMD 64 X2 5200+ Processor

Foxconn/Winfast 6150M2MA mobo (nForce)

nVidia GeForce 9500 GT - 512MB DDR3

Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer

Recently, I installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 from a retail disc - all worked after a few days of trying - and today, I decided to install the one thing I was afraid to try: graphics drivers. So, I decided to go down the route of EFI strings, adding them to my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file. Rebooted, crossed fingers, and was greeted with full resolution, but no QE/CI. I also had a really jerky mouse - it stuttered everywhere and was virtually uncontrollable.

So, in pursuit of a solution to that problem, I booted with cpus=1, and was greeted - to my surprise - with full QE/CI and an almost fixed mouse. Now, however, it is actually inverted - move it up, cursor goes down - and is still very unresponsive and jerky.

The interesting thing is that the mouse is fine for about two or three seconds when the OS first boots, after the dock and menu appear. Then it goes wild for a few seconds, and eventually settles down into a jerky, inverted setting.

I have already pulled the AppleUpstreamClient.kext - I forget the exact name - and tried setting my FSB via boot flags, which is still in effect. I also have to boot with -legacy, or it doesn't start.

Another interesting effect is that if I attempt to do anything graphically-intensive, like opening a new tab in Safari 4 (because of the Top Sites thing, which utilizes a 3D interface), the computer will lock up - but the mouse will still work. And it'll work properly. When this happens, I'll have full, proper mouse control for about 5 seconds, then the screen will flash black, and the problem will return, and then another five seconds will pass, the screen will flash black, and the mouse will work properly. Etcetera, etcetera.

download and install voodoo kernel (google) =)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I haven't touched anything to do with DSDT - to the point that I don't really understand it or what it's for - so any help there would be much appreciated!

I'll attempt to apply a little Google-Fu to the situation myself, as well, to see if I can't find a fix too.

The strange part is how can disabling 1 core makes you get QE/CI...

And I dont think Google helps us now... :rolleyes:

Please tell me which kext you use.

Im going to try 10.5.5 nVidia kext, hope it works.

Update: Doesnt work. So the problem is not from nVidia driver. Damn!!! Then what else? kernel & ACPI ?

rc6amw.jpg

Here be my kexts. Most of them have been taken directly from a (working) Kalyway 10.5.2 installation.

Anyway, yes, I'm with you - it's something to do with our processors, clearly, which can only be something like the kernel or DSDT or something like that. I did see another kernel about someplace - the AnV Kernel - which is a fork of Voodoo but supposedly with some stuff fixed. I think it may be an idea if we try that :P

ETA1: Okay... this is odd. I just restarted with 'cpus=1 -v -f'... and it worked. Mouse is working great, Safari's New Tabs thingy works fine... However, I didn't realise until I'd started installing that AnV kernel. Oops. Although I've gone through and tried to take as much of it out as possible (not that it really matters terribly - the EFI partition overrides most of it anyway), I am absolutely certain that it won't work again after I restart!

How is your PS2Controller? Keyboard and mouse works?

Me personally dont trust AnV kernel...

Logically if there is something sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...then it must be something related to hardware or BIOS, or DSDT. Geez. I wish there is someone tell me which tool for me to debug.

Sad...

Until 10.5.5 everything on my laptop were fine except for PS2...

Sad...

Keyboard and mouse were both perfect - before installing the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, I had to unplug my keyboard from PS/2 in OSX, but I don't have to now.

And, just as I predicted, the AnV kernel broke my install :rolleyes: I'll give it a poke later, see if I can revive it, because before I restarted everything worked perfectly - even Front Row and things that normally never work.

I'm afraid I honestly.cannot tell you. I just rebooted with -f yesterday and it magically worked. And then promptly didn't. I'll have to investigate what combinations of kexts worked for me and report back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Recently, I installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 from a retail disc, updating it to 10.5.7 - all worked after a few days of trying - and today, I decided to install the one thing I was afraid to try: graphics drivers. So, I decided to go down the route of EFI strings, adding them to my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file. Rebooted, crossed fingers, and was greeted with full resolution, but no QE/CI. I also had a really jerky mouse - it stuttered everywhere and was virtually uncontrollable.

Not sure if this helps, but i was having the same problem.

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Mobo, After trying many things (AnV kernel, Voodoo, drivers, bios settings.... blah blah blah) what finally got mine to work was pulling the video from the 1st PCI-E slot and using the 2nd PCI-E.

Now I did have dual cards working in 10.5.2. When I did the Ideneb update to 10.5.8, it would also boot but would have the mouse issue, once I tried to get the video drivers working I would get a black screen. I could get it to boot in safe mode but the mouse would still be inverted.

Like I said, this most likely won't directly help you since your system is different, but maybe it will give someone an idea as to what maybe causing the problem.

OS X 10.5.8

AMD 64 4000+ Processor

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo

nVidia GeForce 7300 GT - 256MB

Microsoft USB Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0

• 4 months later...

i Have this issue. I get it after EFI string on osx86tools, I have a 9600gt, and i make a custom config on EFI string, but i get a blue screen, so i tried apply EFI of 9800, work with QE/CI, but start this mouse issue.

any solution?

Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 (Keyboard wireless with same USB Receiver)

iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8

Kernel 9.8 Qoopz

PS/2 Drivers

Chipset AppleNForceATA

MotherBoard: Asus M2NPV-MX

Chipset: nForce 430

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9600GT (512Mb)

• 3 months later...
i Have this issue. I get it after EFI string on osx86tools, I have a 9600gt, and i make a custom config on EFI string, but i get a blue screen, so i tried apply EFI of 9800, work with QE/CI, but start this mouse issue.

any solution?

Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 (Keyboard wireless with same USB Receiver)

iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8

Kernel 9.8 Qoopz

PS/2 Drivers

Chipset AppleNForceATA

MotherBoard: Asus M2NPV-MX

Chipset: nForce 430

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9600GT (512Mb)

Any update on this having the same problems?

I have the same problem.

Sometimes the mouse become unresponsive.

I read above that moving the graphics card solved it for someone so I'm going to try that.

I have a Cordless Logitech MX Revolution.

Mob. - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

CPU - i7 930

GPU - Club3D HD 4890 with full resolution and QE/CI

At first I thought it was the overclocking causing it but that does not seem to be the case ...

POSSIBLE SOLUTION !!?

I noticed there were no problems when using the Logitech Marble mouse (wireless Logitech MX Revolution still connected)

So I thought it had to be some trouble concerning the communication with that specific mouse ... maybe if I connected something in between that "stabilized" the connection/communication??

When connecting the troubled mouse through a USB-hub all problems went away! :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 years later...