Need Advice on Distros and Graphics for Core i7

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been looking around in the forum for opinions and suggestions on settign up a OSX86 system. I need couple of infos and suggestions.

The system I am considering to buy in a week or two.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

MotherBoard: Intel DX58SO

Ram: 1x2Gb DDR3 1333 ( will fill the other 2 slots once price drops)

HDD: 1TB SATA, 80GB SATA

Graphics: Palit ATI 4850 512MB or Palit GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB or Palit GTS 250 512MB

My concerns and query are:

1) Which OSX86 Distro should i use? (iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 or iAtkos 5i)

2) Which Graphics Card should i go for? (best compatibility, any other Card advised)

3) Can i Install OSX86 and Windows XP on seperate HardDisk?

4) While Installing OSX86 which options should i check and uncheck?

I shall be highly grateful for providing me with any sugesstions and tips on my queries.

Thanks a lot in Advance.

For the price of the Intel DX58SO, you could have a far better Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, or an EX58-UD3R for 40$ less. With that money you could buy a decent amount of 1600MHz ram (3GB as it's a triple-channel chipset) and replace that crappy 80Go HDD with a 320Go Western Digital model twice as fast. You can also make a partition for OSX on your 1GB Drive, as long as it's a 7200RPM model (the new Hitachi, for example).

A rig is a whole. If you spend all your money for the CPU and motherboard, some bad memory, an old HDD or a budget PSU could have you regret it.

For the graphic card, tell us how much you can spend and what it's for (gaming or not) and we'll give you ideas.

PS: You'll need something like iDeneb or iPC, but you should wait for the 10.5.7 release, since it'll be less tricky to install. It should be released in a matter of days, but nobody knows for sure, and you'll have to wait for a distro rellease that could take up to a month if you can't do a retail install all by yourself.

Hi TomCom.

Thanks for the Reply...

Below is the detailed Configuration i was considering:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

MotherBoard: Intel DX58SO

Graphics: Upto $150-$200 ( here with taxes it ends up being 20-30% more )

Hard Disk: 1TB 7200rpm WesternDigital/Seagate, 80GB Maxtor(this one is from my old system, its also a 7200 rpm SATA)

PSU: CoolerMaster/Corsair 500-650Watt

I'll be installing Windows XP for few games listed below:

1) Falcon4 AF

2) LockOn Modern Air Combat

3) IL2-1946

4) Microsoft Simulator X

5) Richard Burn Rally

6) Dirt

7) Race Grid

8) Some new Car Racing Sims and Flight Sims...

# I don't play FPS games.

I need to get a fully working OSX86 installation as i do most of my day to day activity in it, like web-browsing, photo-editing, video editing, apps like Houdini, etc.. etc.. I intended to do everything except games in OSX86.

I completely agree with you that Gigabyte offers better solutions with the Motherboard. As my options are concerned am looking for a very stable Motherboard with best compatibility with OSX86, and am not thinking about over clocking anything. So, i will be glad if you could give me further advice on the MotherBoard.

And regarding RAM, here is my situation. At present day 3x1GB 1333 Kit Cost $100 here and 1x2GB 1333 cost $50. I know having 3 ram on triple channel is 3 times faster than having 1 ram in single slot. So i was thinking of buying the 2 Ram once the Price of DDR3 drops. Even here you opinion is appreciated.

Regarding Installation of OSX86 i would like to Install Windows on the 80GB Sata and OSX in the 1TB SATA. I think i can use BIOS shortcut key like F10 to change boot disk, or can i use the OSX86's boot manager to choose windows on another Disk?

Thanks a lot for your Suggestions in advance.

Hardware is fairly expensive in France with a 20% VAT, but here 3x2GB 1600MHz G.SKill DDR3 cost 100€. Are you sure you can't get cheaper DDR3? Don't you have a website for price comparisons?

Anyway, don't use your old 80GB HDD for the OS, it'd be painfully slow. Buy a 1TB 7200RPM one and do partitions. Black Caviar Western Digital are the best, but a little bit noisy. New Hitachi models (7K1000.:D are fine too, Seagate allways have a longer latency, Samsung are fairly silent but not so reliable. Make your choice!

I've got an iPC tutorial for the EX58-UD5 here:

http://maconpc.niloo.fr/index.php?file=Sec...le&artid=76

It's supposed to be in French, but all key informations are written in English. It should work for any Gigabyte MB, except for the sound (cheaper boards have ALC888 instead of 889A). For the graphics, it depends on the VGA card you'll chose, of course. A HD4850 or a 9800GTX+/GTS250 (it's the same, rebranded) should be enough for you,

Hi TomCom,

Your infos are very much appreciated.

Regarding the MotherBoard price over here. Here are the listing:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R - INR 14,306 ($288)

Intel DX58SO - INR 16,800 ($338)

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P - (should be same around DX58SO)

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - INR 18,149 ($365)

So, I am deciding between Intel DX58SO and Gigabyte EX58-UD4P. Based on your suggestion and my research based on the MoBo Review, I have started thinking for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P too. I think my choice are okay for either DX58XO or GA-EX58-UD4P. My buying decision will be based on which one is supported better by OSX86. And make my OSX86 installation less painful.

Over here prices depends on the local demand so it sometimes vary from hte international standards.

These are the Prices of RAM:

a) 2GB DDR3 1333 GHz - INR 2,500 ($50)

B) 3x1GB DDR3 1333GHz Kit - INR 5,000 ($100)

c) 3x2GB DDR3 1333GHZ Kit - INR 9,500 ($191)

Which Option You Suggest? Option © is out of budget at the moment.

Should I go for Option (a) and get two more module when the price Drops

Or Choose Option(B)

Thanks again for the help :)

The real question is: Do you need a Core i7? If you wanna play, a Q9550 would be as good for today and at least 2 years ahead; Core i7s are far better for multithreaded pro apps, not for gaming. A very good P45 MB like Gigabyte EP45-UD3R costs half price, compared to X58 "budget" models like Intel DX and Gigabyte UD3R; DDR2 is cheaper too, and you wouldn't need a +500W PSU.

But if you really want or need a Core i7, you should get the UD4P, buy 2x2GB RAM, keep 3x1 and sell the extra one. :)

BTW, for the graphic card, Nvidia are much easier to install for newbies. And the tuto I linked to earlier was for iPC 10.5.6, the best distro out there with iDeneb.

Apart from the very limited games i play, i'll be using my system for working on.. 3D Apps like Maya, Houdini an will be doing quite a good amount of rendering. Also i'll be using it mostly for video editing and rendering. Thats one of the reason i opt for Core i7, and i want my system to last for another 3-4 years without getting obsolete/outdated. Had it been for Gaming only i wouldn't have opt for Core i7 as it cant do any better with the list of games i play.

I will probably consider UD4P for the MoBo.

I am currently downloading iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6, i hope this one works with my Config.

If I go for UD4P I might Consider Nvidia.

Thanks again for all the infos... and helping me take optimum choice.

My pleasure. 3D is not the kind of stuff you do with 2GB of RAM. You should have 6 at least, and the 6 memory slots of the UD4P will be very useful. Anyway, if you lack memory, you'll hear your HDD turning crazy and you'll see the swap pages rocketing to 2 or 4GB with a widget like iStat Pro.

I completely Agree with you on 2GB not enough for 3d ... at work the minimum spec i have is 4GB RAM. It is the price at the moment stopping me from going for 6GB(3x2GB).

At most what i can afford now is 3GB (3x1GB) or 4GB(2x2GB).

The Point here is (3x1GB) will be running at tripple Channel Mode, where as (2x2GB) will be running at dual Channel Mode. Which option you recommend/suggest?

One quick Question here..

Say, i have 3x1GB installed in DIMM 1,3,5. Can I, in future install 3x2GB or 3x4GB in DIMM 2,4,6.?

Or is it that, all have to be the same Memory Capacity and type in all the Six DIMMs?

Thanks as always :)

I would go for 2x2Go, if I knew I could afford one more stick in a month or two. Don't waste your memory slots.

Different models usually work together. I have 2x1GB G.SKill @ 800MHz and 2x2G.Skill @ 1067MHz running up to 1068MHz (445x9), the first ones being overclocked. But it could cause bugs, instability, depending on the MB, bios version and stuff you do. Don't try that for a profesional use. But the mix of 1GB and 2GB memories as you explained should be fine.