Installer does not see my ICH7 SATA drives

6 posts in this topic

I have tried many ISOs out there that actually include ICH7 patches as an optional install during setup (I know this from installing to an IDE drive), however the ISO itself does not boot using those ICH7 SATA kexts, therefore the installer can never see the SATA drives to install to in the first place. Does anyone know of an ISO that has these ICH7 kexts loaded in as part of the installer itself? If not, what kind of options do I have otherwise? Would it make sense to copy the succesful install to my IDE drive over to my SATA drive?

Try to find the specific device id of your ICH7 SATA version and you will be able to check which ISO has support for it.

You can also copy the installed partition from IDE to SATA provided you install the required kext to boot from it and maybe reinstall the bootloader in the new partition.

I finally was able to recreate an iDeneb ISO using the IOATAFamily.kext stickied in this forum. I took a look and the ICH7 SATA controller already listed in that file was the same as my computer, so it should have worked. I booted the disk with that kext built in and still the installer does not see my drive. I really don't know what else I can do.

The mobo I'm using is an MS-7236

I learned that I needed to enable AHCI.. this option does not exist in this motherboard's BIOS settings. It appears it is only available by using the motherboards disk while installing windows.. so it's some kind of software-based AHCI.. which explains why things don't seem to work right even with the right kexts in place. Im basically out of ideas at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions, anyone have any success with motherboards that do not let you enable AHCI in the bios, etc?

Not all ICH chipsets support AHCI, basic models dont.

Its very strange, Dune's kext is supposed to have all know ICH device ids, what is yours?

You can try copying the installed partition from the IDE to the SATA disk and reinstalling Chameleon onto the new partition too but you have to be sure you can see the SATA disks in the current installation or it wont work either.

Not all ICH chipsets support AHCI, basic models dont.

Its very strange, Dune's kext is supposed to have all know ICH device ids, what is yours?

You can try copying the installed partition from the IDE to the SATA disk and reinstalling Chameleon onto the new partition too but you have to be sure you can see the SATA disks in the current installation or it wont work either.

my device IDs are listed in the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext under ICH7, I found some posts claiming they got it to work by putting the device IDs in the ICH6 part of that file using the same motherboard as me. I burned 5 or 6 different versions of iDeneb using the different options for that kext, unfortunately none of them ever detected my drives. FYI I am using an Intel 945 chipset on a Neo5 board (MSI MS-7236 mobo)

I've also tried modifying the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext in my IDE install, unfortunately it causes a kernel panic when trying to load that file now when booting. I can still boot from the install by using rd=disk0s2 from the install disk, but this isn't loading my kexts i've got installed as it complains about mismatched kernel versions. So still, I at no point have ever seen any sign that OSX86 can see this SATA controller at all (except for all the posts out there with people claiming to have gotten it to work) I finally found one post on this forum with someone who offered up the kexts that are needed, but its a post from 3 years ago and the file is now 404 not found. One of the disks I burned contained the modifications they had mentioned on the post (setting the device ids in the ICH6 section of the info.plist), but this also did not allow me to see the SATA drives from within the installer.

Any suggestions? At this point I would be willing to purchase a seperate SATA controller if it worked well with OSX86.