Using Windows 7 VHD to Boot OS X

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was reading up on some of the new features of windows 7 tonight and it seems like the new VHD feature could offer some easy alternatives for installing OSX onto a PC.

The methods would be as follows:

1. Create VHD disk and attach it within Windows so it appears as a physical disk.

2. Setup a VM using VMWare, have VMWare be setup to write to a phsyical disk. In our case, the physical disk would be the disk that is represented by our VHD file setup in step 1.

3. Install OS X on VMWare so that our VHD image is written to.

4. Setup the Windows 7 boot manager to have the option of booting our VHD.

5. Boot into our VHD!

Sounds simple enough, I'll probably have time to try this out in the next couple of weeks, but if one of you wants to give this a try it might be useful for all of us.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hey Dave, I just saw your post recently, but I have created a VHD by doing the following:

1. Create blank VHD using Disk Management in Windows 7 RC1 and attach it

2. Set vmware workstation to use a physical disk and set it to the attached VHD

3. Use donk's instructions to boot retail leopard on vmware workstation

4. Boot the VM and install using retail disc

5. Boot into install (still using vmware workstation) and install chameleon 2.0 RC1 to the root of the hard drive. I added necessary kexts for my system (dsmos, cpumanagementdisabler, IOATAFamily)

6. Close vmware, copy VHD to C:\vdisk\

7. Run the following as admin:

C:\>bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

C:\>bcdedit /set <guid> device vhd=[C:]\vdisk\mac.vhd

C:\>bcdedit /set <guid> osdevice vhd=[C:]\vdisk\mac.vhd

C:\>bcdedit /set <guid> detecthal on

8. Reboot. I receive an error code 0x00002. It says there is a problem with the entry.

Maybe it's the VHD I made? Have you gotten any further? Let's stay in tocuh, if we could make this happen, it would make installing osx86 for people SO much easier.

• 1 year later...