Tips for installing on i945GM mini-PC

glonq

3 posts in this topic

I'd like to put Leopard onto a mini-PC that is based on the FIC GE2 (http://www.anteor.com/catalog2/catalog/fic-ge2.html). The specs are:

Model : Intel® Core2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz

Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology

Chipset Model : FIC 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller

LPC Hub Controller 1 : FIC 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) LPC Interface Controller

Audio Device : FIC 82801G (ICH7) High Definition Audio

Network Adapter : Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection

Wireless Adapter 1 : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (802.11g (ERP), WEP n-bit, 54Mbps)

Anything I should look out for? I've had success getting XxX_x86 10.5.6 onto VMWare (thanks, Donk!), but that's about the limits of my OS X skills. Hoping to use the same distro for this PC.

Thanks in advance!

...thanks for nothing! :blink:

Fortunately it was brain-dead easy to get this going. Originally I installed XxX with all kinds of options that I thought I'd need (DSDT patcher, video drivers, etc) but that just screwed everything up. Re-installed with almost nothing extra (just Intel LAN drivers, since that's obvious).

Video seems to work. I can get resolutions up to 1600x1200, so that's good enough for me. Don't know/care whether it's using the best driver or acceleration or not.

LAN works just fine.

Sound may or may not work. Don't have/need speakers or sound right now.

Disabled sleep and power management, but the thing seems to start up and shut down good enough.

All told, it's a nice little mac mini clone.

• 5 months later...

I was able to install vanilla leopard with all updates with no issues.

My biggest hassle was the sound driver. I had some success with voodooHDa, but only the left audio channel would work.

I gave up after a day as I spent too much time on the problem. I just used a usb audio card, and am happy in this solution.

My sadness is that all usb ports are used with the keyboard, mouse, usb audio and usb key(chameleon) to boot the machine.

I am using this as a media center and am happy with it so far.

If only the audio worked.

I could not get the wireless card to work.