Idea - Intentionally disjoint GPT/MBR tables to allow Mac/Linux 4+ partitions?

1 post in this topic

*Note, I myself hate reading ppl's posts of how something well beyond their knowledge/skill might work...

My understanding is that a GPT/MBR hybrid table can become out of sync. I wonder if this could be used to a multi-booters advantage.

Motive:

I strive to achieve a machine where I can [blow away/re-install] any of my OS's independtly. Windows [complains/refuses to install] if there are more than 4 partitions (1 being the EFI partition, so really 3 usable). While I really don't care if windows can see all my partitions it would be nice if Mac or Mac+Linux could (for backup/organization purposes).

Proposed process:

[Option 1]

1) Configure a dual-boot (MacOS/Windows/Linux) with 1 driver per OS, plenty of leftover space at the end of the disk.

2) Using a gpt aware (only) tool, add additional partitions for Mac/Linux to utilize.

3) MBR remains untouched? Windows does not complain?

[Option 2]

1) Configure a dual-boot (MacOS/Windows/Linux) with 1 driver per OS, plenty of leftover space at the end of the disk.

2) Backup the MBR (can this be easily backed up independly of the GPT table?, dd?, block range?).

3) Add more partitions using any tool.

4) Restore MBR backup.

Any immediate idea's why this could not be done?

Are there current techniques that accomplish these goals with a different approach?