Dell D410 Installation Guide?

llawnroc

9 posts in this topic

Hi

After installing Leopard on my Dell GX520 (which is running great) from a fantastic guide on this site, I thought I might try my hand at installing on my Dell 410, however I'm having major issues.

Within the BIOS I've basically turned everything off, WIFI, NIC, Modem etc. I've got to flavours of boot disks, one is iDeneb and the other is Kalyway 10.5.2, neither of these seem to work. The Kalyway will not boot, I get a black screen, lots of text, but not much more, and for the iDeneb, I get to choose my language but it hangs after that.

I've seen several posts about the Dell D410, but no straight forward user guide as there was for the Dell GX 520.

Can anyone help??

Many thanks in advance!

Well after spending the last couple of evenings playing around with my Dell D410, I have managed to get a little further:

The Kalyway 10.5.2 disc does not work, jsut keeps rebooting

The iDeneb 3.4 disk gets to the select your language, then jsut hangs

The IPC OSX86 10.5.6 allows me to install, but I end up getting a blue screen after rebooting.

I have installed several times with and without the Intel 915 graphic drivers and I still get this. The only other drivers / patches I've installed at the same time is the ICHX chipset driver (stops me getting the 'waiting for root device'), the Apple Broadcom 575 drivers for the network adapter.

Can anyone give me a clear cut way of resolving this. I've tried booting with the -x switch and also by using the Graphics Mode switch.

Thanks in advance

Well after spending several hours trawling through the forums I finally managed to install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on to my Dell D410.

It was a nightmare trying to find something that worked and did it with minimal fuss, so have got to say well done to 'riddiculous' who created this thread ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152377 ).

Your notes / tutorial was all I needed!

Thanks again!

Well after spending several hours trawling through the forums I finally managed to install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on to my Dell D410.

It was a nightmare trying to find something that worked and did it with minimal fuss, so have got to say well done to 'riddiculous' who created this thread ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152377 ).

Your notes / tutorial was all I needed!

Thanks again!

Hi llawnroc.

I too have a D410 - great little subnotebook by the way, at 1.7 kg, and with 2 batteries I'm good to go for at least 6 hours on the road. I'd like to install Leopard, preferably with a dual boot option with XP Pro, and maybe even triple boot with Ubuntu, but these are secondary.

When you say you used riddiculous's install guide, do you mean you used the exact same guide, install disc, patches, etc? Just asking, as his guide and video were for the Dell D610. Did you have to make any specific changes to the install?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I just found out my post had been deleted. I tried to add everything back from google cached pages but it looks weird. Here is the updated link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165972

riddiculouts, thanks for reposting this awesome guide, but do you have the PCMCIA fix?? I've just reused this guide for Dell D610 and the PCMCIA isn't working.

Hi llawnroc.

I too have a D410 - great little subnotebook by the way, at 1.7 kg, and with 2 batteries I'm good to go for at least 6 hours on the road. I'd like to install Leopard, preferably with a dual boot option with XP Pro, and maybe even triple boot with Ubuntu, but these are secondary.

When you say you used riddiculous's install guide, do you mean you used the exact same guide, install disc, patches, etc? Just asking, as his guide and video were for the Dell D610. Did you have to make any specific changes to the install?

Thanks.

hillbilly - sorry been a hectic couple of weeks! Yes I followed the guide to the letter, everything worked perfectly. Was a little dubious, but having worked with the Dell Latitude series for the last 5 years at work it was a fair enough asusmption the basics would work then I could hack the rest. However in this case everything worked as anticipated!!

Just a shame the original article got wiped, but at least ridiculous managed to do a re-write so everyone could benefit again!

Also I have a Dell D410 and i'm pondering to install leopard on it, but how do you installed it without the dvd player?

Decagrog - I've got the external DVD drive for the machine so it wasn't an issue. Installation was really smooth and easy!

Thanks llawnroc, I'll try to borrow a external dvd drive from my friend,.

Actually i would like to make a dual boot windows/leopard , because i want use leopard only for the iphone sdk...anyone have a positive experience about the dual boot with the D410?