Apple computer or PC running leopard

7 posts in this topic

if you had a budget of $1500 would it be better to buy a mac or a really good pc and hack it to run leopard?

because when you think about it with $1500 you can buy a PC with more RAM, a bigger HDD and/or a faster CPU than a mac of the same price (im not 100% percent sure about this you can correct me if im wrong lol).

so if you can manage to make it run mac OS would that PC be better or would the mac be better? what do you guys think would be the smarter choice?

if you had a budget of $1500 would it be better to buy a mac or a really good pc and hack it to run leopard?

because when you think about it with $1500 you can buy a PC with more RAM, a bigger HDD and/or a faster CPU than a mac of the same price (im not 100% percent sure about this you can correct me if im wrong lol).

so if you can manage to make it run mac OS would that PC be better or would the mac be better? what do you guys think would be the smarter choice?

So what are you trying to do? That really drives your answer. If you need to reliably produce professional results on a schedule, in almost any field, you probably should stick with a real Mac. If you want to experiment, goof around, have fun, bust some benchmarks, then the hackintosh is your answer.

either way, have fun!

markb

Two years ago I retired my ageing G4, although upgraded with dual 1.8 GHz CPU, nVidia 7800GS and 1.5GB RAM, it was getting a bit long in the tooth, especially when it came to showing and editing HD content and doing realtime audio editing and running multiple plugins.

I built myself a Hackintosh based on the BadAxe2 board. Besides having to change my videocard (RMA luckily), this rig has been more or less rock solid. Probably going to build a dedicated Snow leopard rig this summer.

I still would like to have a MacBook Pro though :(

Depends on your needs.

$1500 is a bit excessive for a Hackintosh, though you can build a kickass i7 based machine for that.

But if you really don't actually *need* all the horsepower for your uses, a MacBook or Mac Mini might suit you just fine.

Better yet, spend $1000 on the entry-level MacBook, and $500 on the most basic desktop Hackintosh. Best of both worlds.