Slow Startup

find3r

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I just installed iPC OSx86 10.5.6 on my computer, specs:

Celeron 430 1.80Ghz

1.5GB DDR2 667Mhz

80GB Sata I

motherboard MSI 945GCM7 ( intel GMA950 graphics)

During install I marked those drivers:

Sound:ALC888 (not working)

Graphics: GMA950

intel ICHX Sata

Everything went fine (except from a error that showed up after install, during first boot) but I just restarted and now everything works fine. The problem is that it takes 5 minutes for the system to startup! Is there anything I could do? thanks for the attention.

One more thing, system profiler says my RAMs are 0Mhz...and it doesnt recognize my processor: "1.8Ghz unknown" :s

About the system profiler stuff - install Chameleon 2.0 and make a custom smbios.plist in /extra.

OSX doesn't communicate well with most PC motherboards and sometimes needs a little help with the correct information for RAM and other things. Apart from that and more importantly, smbios.plist lets you set a proper Apple Mac model with serial number and motherboard model (and more) so that this information is available to apps that need it to configure themselves to run properly on your hardware. For example if you're on a laptop you should configure the smbios.plist so your computer appears as a macbook (air/pro, whatever you want).

Use the search to find examples, or download the Chameleon 2.0 archive (the one that's not an installer) and take a look at the included smbios.plist.

Before installing anything, for your own sake search and read about smbios.plist and what you can do with it.

About the boot taking too long - boot with -v and attach a photo of the output - or you can copy the text from Console (type Console in spotlight). Maybe someone can identify the problem by looking at it.

Are you using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel?

About the system profiler stuff - install Chameleon 2.0 and make a custom smbios.plist in /extra.

OSX doesn't communicate well with most PC motherboards and sometimes needs a little help with the correct information for RAM and other things. Apart from that and more importantly, smbios.plist lets you set a proper Apple Mac model with serial number and motherboard model (and more) so that this information is available to apps that need it to configure themselves to run properly on your hardware. For example if you're on a laptop you should configure the smbios.plist so your computer appears as a macbook (air/pro, whatever you want).

Use the search to find examples, or download the Chameleon 2.0 archive (the one that's not an installer) and take a look at the included smbios.plist.

Before installing anything, for your own sake search and read about smbios.plist and what you can do with it.

About the boot taking too long - boot with -v and attach a photo of the output - or you can copy the text from Console (type Console in spotlight). Maybe someone can identify the problem by looking at it.

Are you using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel?

First, thanks for spending time answering.

Well, Im gonna try to install chameleon 2.0 this weekend, but some things I already tried and noted:

The real delay happens while on the soft blue screen (before the desktop background appears), I found this topic about it: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...09&tstart=0

I tried creating a new user - no improvement.

booting with -x (safe mode) - no improvement.

When booting with verbose (-v) I saw a line that took a little longer than the others (something like "localhost (usr/sbin/ocspd[69]: starting"), but again the big delay is later on the blue screen...

Some things worth mentioning:

If it sleeps, when I wake it up, the screen stays off.

Still no sound, ALC888 with ICH7 sucks. Tried several drivers without success.

System profiler says my graphics card is 64mb, but its actually 128mb...

I think Im using voodoo 9.5 (Im not sure, where do I check it?)

Thanks.

could not wait so I decided to install chameleon 2.0, the good news is that now system profiler identifies my pc as a macmini (including serial number and everything, just as you said) and my memory now shows up as 677mhz (nice!).

Unfortunately the delay persists, ideas?

Oh, in system profiler my graphics are still recognized as 64mb and it shows I dont have audio.

I was loving the idea of having a second Mac but with 5 minutes startups its not really better than using XP. Anyone?

Got my ALC888 sound working. Here where Im standing:

Install with iPC OSx86 10.5.6

Kernel 9.5 Voodoo Kernel (Default with iPC 10.5.6 ?)

Chipset Driver LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA (intel ICHX Sata Drivers works too)

Video: Intel GMA950

Audio: "Other Audio Drivers" > Azalia Audio

Ethernet Drivers: Realtek R1000

Alternate Bootloaders > Chameleon with SMBIOS/DSDT

Post Install:

Enabled Quartz GL with OSX86 TOOLS UTILITY

Installed Chameleon bootloader 2.0 RC1 to identify RAM and processor correctly.

Remaining problem:

Startup time (5 minutes), help? :s

• 4 weeks later...
Remaining problem:

Startup time (5 minutes), help? :s

FWIW, I have the same problem. I installed Chameleon after having installed iDeneb; I imagine that has something to do with my particular problem.

Haven't figured it out yet -- very new to this. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi!

Using the -v flag during boot I saw that the line that hangs is this one:

interfacenamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform uuid

it stays in that line for a few minutes and than it shows the fully loaded desktop.

Help?