Gateway 7805u Install Help & Questions

pjmiller435

12 posts in this topic

For Gateway 7805u users, wanting to install OSx86 on their laptop........

If anyone else has a Gateway 7805u go download Kalaway 10.5.2 and here are the options I selected when I hit customize right before clicking the install now button.

First of all, I hit F2 to enter the bios and went over to the right one to the advanced tab. Selected Legacy USB and disabled it. Also I put SATA Mode right below it and set it to AHCI.

Then you can boot into installer as normal, I don't know because I always booted with the flags, -v -x

(Verbose Mode + Safe Mode)

Now right before it's ready to install, click customize at the bottom left. Select:

Kernels:

Leave the default one. Our laptops are perfect with the apple kernel, etc.

Video Cards:

NVinject the default, first nvidia choice as this is the only one I've tried so far and it works 100%. It;ll state you have 32mb video in mac, but this is all fixable after you have the mac up and running.

Audo Drivers:

UNSELECT THE NVIDIA AC97!!!!!! IMPORTANT! JUST KEEP THE INTEL CONTROLLER AND THE HD AUDIO CODEC FOR CONEXANT/REALTEK, ETC. CHECKED. ONLY THOSE TWO! IF YOU KEEP THE AC97 NVIDIA CHECK, IT'LL DETECT YOUR CARD AS THE AC97 AND YOUR SOUND WILL BE CHOPPY AS ALL HELL. IF YOU UNCHECK IT, WHICH BY THE WAY ALL 3 OF THESE ARE CHECKED BY DEFAULT, SO JUST UNCHECK THE AC97 NVIDIA AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO, OUT THE BOX WITH CRISP, CLEAR SOUND.

Patches:

*Power Management Bundle (Cause we have laptops, lol)

*Intel Memory Controller (For AHCI, etc.)

Hardcoded_SMBIOS: (this group is located under patches, I believe)

*AppleSMBIOS-27-DDR3-1333 (Otherwise our 4gb mem will cause kernel panic. I've also heard of taking one mem chip out and only have 2gigs and it installs but this is much easier now to just select this smbios.)

And thats it. Works default, with no flags. Laptop built in keyboard + mouse work, even if mac ocasionally states on boot up it can not identify your keyboard, thats ok, every important button works, just windows button, etc. do not work.

Sound is working right out the box you could say because Kalaway defaults some HD Audio patches/kext.

USB mouse and keyboard work as well. The volume slider on laptop works as well! Havnt tried mute yet, but hell thats amazing enough!

========================================

Gateway 7805u Specs::

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor1 P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache)7

Operating System Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP12

Memory 4096MB 1066MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory (2-2048MB modules)8

Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive5

Chassis Chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GTS Graphics with 1GB of GDDR3 Discrete Video Memory and Intel® PM45 Chipset9

Wireless Network Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN 802.11a/g/Draft-N Wireless LAN10

Adapter AC Adapter

Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0SE, Microsoft® Money Essentials & Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)4

Battery 9-Cell Lithium Ion 86.58 Whr (2.6AHr)

Color FX Premium Design with brushed metal keyboard surround and high-impact composite finish

Digital Media Software Microsoft® Windows Media Player 11, Cyberlink® Power2 Go™, & Cyberlink® LabelPrint™

Dimensions (Box) 15.5" (H) x 19" (W) x 6.5" (D) or 394mm (H) x 485mm (W) x 165mm (D)

Dimensions (System) 1.3"-1.70" (H) x 15.75" (W) x 11.75" (D) or 33-43mm (H) x 400mm (W) x 298mm (D)

Display 17" High-Definition Widescreen WXGA+ Display (1440 x 900)11

Expansion Slots ExpressCard™ Type 54

External Ports (3) USB 2.0, VGA Connector, IEEE 1394b, eSATA Port, V1.2 HDMI Connector

Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard, Synaptics Touchpad with Vertical Scroll

Media Card Reader 5-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader (Memory Stick™, Memory Stick™ Pro, Multi Media Card™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card™)

Memory Capacity Maximum 4GB

Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)

Multimedia Buttons Illuminated Metal Precision-Touch Multimedia Buttons

Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW and DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash™ Technology12

Security Software Symantec Norton 360™ 2008 (60-day trial)6

Sound High-Definition Audio- 2 Channel, Built-In speakers, microphone, headphone/SPDIF Audio Out

Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor + Toll Free13

Web Camera 1.3 Megapixel Integrated Webcam

Weight 9.05 lbs. (4.11 kg) system unit only / 12.64 lbs. (5.73 kg.) box

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering....Does the audio work with headphones plugged in? Also does vga out, memory card reader and webcam work with this instillation? I already have my P7805u running with Aitkos, sound works but not with headphones plugged in and I managed to get VGA out working using the custom d23 driver Nvidia driver, Im pretty happy with my current install but I wouldn't mind trying this install if I could get a few more features to work.

I was wondering....Does the audio work with headphones plugged in? Also does vga out, memory card reader and webcam work with this instillation? I already have my P7805u running with Aitkos, sound works but not with headphones plugged in and I managed to get VGA out working using the custom d23 driver Nvidia driver, Im pretty happy with my current install but I wouldn't mind trying this install if I could get a few more features to work.

the vga out trick, to get it to work anyway is the same method you have done. samething with fixing video from 32mb to 1024mb. i have not tried the headphones but i even know that i lost all my recovery data, etc. and dont even have my drivers for windows vista, im currently running 32bit and the headphones do not even work unless i right click on sound in taskbar and click playback devices and set headphones as default output, then they'll work, so i imagine this does not work in mac os x either.

I'll test everything a little later tonight however and post my findings for you.

all my devices worked 110% in Ubuntu Linux, memory card reader, etc. I installed an old dead ps3 hd into the laptop, in the free hd space, I'm just loving my setup now.

I'm new to all this, and i tried your instructions, success sound really works fine on my 7805u but i cant connect to internet with the marvell yukon 8071 :S

how about that, how did you make yours work??? thnx for the guide thought very useful =D

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay guys, there was a death in my family and i apologize for not coming on and checking up.

as for your question juanjoyy

i made the marvel yukon by editing the info.plist for the lan kext.... if you need more info pm me, sorry for the late response i had a death in the family.

Looks sweet, do both the internal AND external mics work? And if they do, do you think you could upload the two audio kexts you mentioned ('cause I want me some of that!)? Did you try mute?

Oh and does sleep work?

My sleep does work. My mic does not detect, prolly a hack or rig work around for that though, i presume. i have an usb mic as well, compat for mac, so im ok there for now.

mute does work, volume slider does work, the play pause and all that do not work obviously however.

cam does not work but one time it did for me, so i dont know whats up with that..... ummmmm

wireless does not work as im working on developing a firmware and application for all intel 5100+ cards.

Oh, nice! dude if you get the wireless working, you will be the ultimate... idunno, something that is ultimate. Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help.

In the meantime, I'd love to know exactly how you got the Yukon to work. I've tried and failed many a time.

P.S. I'm really sorry about your family... I know how that is, something like that just happened to me as well recently. Hope ya pull through okay.

Oh, nice! dude if you get the wireless working, you will be the ultimate... idunno, something that is ultimate. Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help.

In the meantime, I'd love to know exactly how you got the Yukon to work. I've tried and failed many a time.

P.S. I'm really sorry about your family... I know how that is, something like that just happened to me as well recently. Hope ya pull through okay.

thanks a lot man. i appreciate it. well as far as helping, do you have any programing exp? its cool either way. many ways to help, lol.

as far as yukon..... ummm are you manually registering and fixing permissions of the kext file(s)? or using kext7helper, etc.? cuz i feel the best way is using terminal and doing it normal. also another question, what are you using to edit the info.plist file? i use a third party text editor, it does it right every single time as well as using the terminal to fix permissions, right after you edit them, also delete the extentions.kext and if its there also, extentions.mkext(located in the library folder), and then reboot. you'll know you get it right then if it says updating boot cache or whatever as you restart.

also.... i will boot into mac os x sometime tomorrow, as ill work on the wireless driver and an iphone app im currently working on. so i can supply a little guide on how to do it as well as give you the name of the text edior i prefer.

• 1 month later...

Were or are you able to update to 10.5.7 with this install? Im still having issues getting my video to work properly. And could you pm me with the details to get the network card working (Ethernet)

• 2 months later...
Were or are you able to update to 10.5.7 with this install? Im still having issues getting my video to work properly. And could you pm me with the details to get the network card working (Ethernet)

sorry about delay. i can help you if you still needed it. doubt it though.

I ditched Kalyway awhile ago because they havn't updated it yet.

I'd download iAtkos 7, which will install OS X 10.5.7 .

It comes preloaded with an auto-driver for our Nvidia card, it'll automatically look at your video card and set the settings according to it. Worked flawlessly for me, I have Quartz, etc. all enabled as well as dual screen/monitor out. Not sure if HDMI works or not, I think theres EFI Strings you can put in.

iAtkos also installs the newest version of Chameleon, Chameleon v2.

Which is amazing and simple. I have OS X, Vista and Linux installed and all detected and ran great.