Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718: Waiting for root device

NurkJon

8 posts in this topic

Well I've tried installing mac os x on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 Laptop but it won't boot. The iaktos i5 install runs fine and all but when I restart I get a picture that looks like this

IMG00018.jpg

If I run the boot in text I get a error message saying something like "Waiting for root device" and then nothing happens.

Here's my specs:

Chipset: ATI RC415ME + SB460

CPU:Intel Pentium Dual Core processor with 533MHz FSB T2060 / 1.6GHz / 1MB 2nd level cache

RAM: 2GB DDR2 sodimm 800mhz

HDD: 120GB SATA 5400RPM

ODD: IDE DVD-RW burner

GPU: ATI Readon Xpress 200M

1280x800 Res 15,4" glossy screen.

I wish I could get Mac OS X to work on this pc but I don't get it to work. Btw I'm running Mac OSX as only os now but I will probably dual boot with Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. I've also tried iPC dvd but that one won't even boot for some reason.

Edit: Ok now I got it up and running (the Kalyway dvd worked) so now I pretty much only need gpu and wlan drivers, wlan isn't that important right now but I'd like to have some sort of gpu driver so I can run the screen in native res at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
or try to install (Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2) i have Amilo li 1718 and install-it and workit very well ;)

I also have kayway 10.5.2 running on the same machine.

However it was far from easy and is still not perfect.

Display

I could only get 1024 x 768 resolution. Various forums pointed me to Callisto and this has (sort of) worked in that I now get a full screen at 1280 x 800. however, with both there is something wrong. For normal applications it looks fine but I can't calibrate it in any way. If I use the calibrate function in system preferences the sliders have no effect, for example when trying to set contrast.

Third party calibration utilities behave in just the same way.

Choosing a different coloursync profile makes no apparent difference to the display.

WiFi

I cannot get the internal WiFi to work. I think the problem is similar to most versions of linux on this computer. The chip is recognised but the silver button to turn it on is not active. Changing bios settings does not help with this either in OSX or linux.

I'm using a Belkin USB wireless "stick" with a Railink driver - that works fine.

USB

I can only get the USB ports to plug and play if, for example, a memory stick is plugged in when booting. It will then work fine and can be ejected and replaced (even with a different one). However, if there is nothing in at boot up then it won't see anything plugged in later.

USB mouse will only work if plugged in at boot.

Any ideal would be most welcome

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Well I've tried installing mac os x on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 Laptop but it won't boot. The iaktos i5 install runs fine and all but when I restart I get a picture that looks like this

IMG00018.jpg

If I run the boot in text I get a error message saying something like "Waiting for root device" and then nothing happens.

Here's my specs:

Chipset: ATI RC415ME + SB460

CPU:Intel Pentium Dual Core processor with 533MHz FSB T2060 / 1.6GHz / 1MB 2nd level cache

RAM: 2GB DDR2 sodimm 800mhz

HDD: 120GB SATA 5400RPM

ODD: IDE DVD-RW burner

GPU: ATI Readon Xpress 200M

1280x800 Res 15,4" glossy screen.

I wish I could get Mac OS X to work on this pc but I don't get it to work. Btw I'm running Mac OSX as only os now but I will probably dual boot with Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. I've also tried iPC dvd but that one won't even boot for some reason.

Edit: Ok now I got it up and running (the Kalyway dvd worked) so now I pretty much only need gpu and wlan drivers, wlan isn't that important right now but I'd like to have some sort of gpu driver so I can run the screen in native res at least.

hello i know this is old now but i just thought id point out that i had a Amilo Li1718 laying around with a faulty motherboard and my wi fi wasnt working on my toshiba nb100 with ideneb so i stuck the wi fi card out of this into it and got the same screen as above, so it must be the wi fi card thats causing problems with this laptop and osx

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I have managed to fix this problem by installing iDeneb. For some reason this works better then iPC. But have you installed a kernel? I had a similar problem on another machine that had this error. iDeneb works fine but there are a few/ a lot of bugs. I cannot for the life of me get the keyboard and mouse to work I have to plug one in. I can't get the Wi-Fi to work because of the stupid activation button (need to find a fix for Mac, I found one for ubuntu and it works perfectly) and I can't get any of the photo apps to work such as photo booth because it says the graphics card isn't supported so I need to find another driver but most of these I guess is down to the chipset which I still cannot find a driver for either...any suggestions?

Tom

• 2 years later...