Success

skrypts

1 post in this topic

Well a friend had the crazy notion of trying EQmac because the rulesets are similar to when we used to play. So I said what the heck, it might be fun. I was looking at some of the mac mini's since they look real nice and on top of that it didn't come with a monitor, just the basics. I could just hook it up to my LVM-37w3. Furthermore, I wasn't planning on spending $600+ to play a 10 year old game.

After scouring the internet for a good deal on a mac mini I eventually came across Insanelymac and all the authors of the OSX's. I thought I would give it a shot. I found a copy of Kalyway's 10.5.2 and an old hard drive and gave it a shot. The installation went very smooth, just needed to make the partition's name one word then OSX had no problems installing. After getting into the Mac OS I just installed the nVidia installer v1.9 by punkv92.zip (remember to go to options and select your graphics card, mine was 768mb nvidia card) and my 8800GTX quickly was recognized after a reboot. Enabling my sound took me a couple tries. I ended up using v1.16 AppleHDA patcher and the STAC9274D_83847621.txt codec (easiest way is to download both, drag both icons onto the desktop, then drag the .txt onto the applehda icon and drop, finally, let it install - it may take a minute or so to finish) and after a reboot my sound was working.

The entire process took maybe a couple hours and this is coming from my first shot at trying Mac OSX. My success comes mostly from my hardware being highly supported. Everything seemed to be supported from the Kalyway 10.5.2 install. I just needed to get the files for my video and sound cards. Everquest is pretty smooth, I remember playing this on some ancient hardware at one point.

I also want to add that it's tough trying to use Mac OS coming from windows. :)

Here are my specs incase anyone has the same hardware and are having hiccups with leopard.

Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2

eVga 8800GTX

Intel Bad Axe 2

c2d e6600 2.4 @ 3.4

4 gigs of corsair 1066

37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3

Thanks again guys ;)