Motherboard recommendations

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm about ready to drop down the cash and take the plunge for a Hackintosh. The biggie, of course, is choosing the right motherboard. I'm very much eyeballing the Gigabyte P45 boards as the price is right, the brand is solid, and I've been told that they're pretty good Hackie boards. What I'm looking for is advice from folks who have done or tried any of these boards, such as the DS3R and similar models. Everything working okay with the right tweaks? Sleep, audio, network? I'm experimenting with this for the wife's computer. Worst case scenario is that she'll just keep having to use Windows. If it goes well enough, I may consider selling off my iMac to fund a badass Hackie. Well, enough blather. Anyone have insight to share?

Also, will FW800 cards work without a hitch? The answer is likely yes, but I just want to be certain.

Hey, I know you from the XLR8YourMac asylum...

Can't speak to the FW800 cards, but I've had good luck with two Gigabyte mobos, the EP45-DS3R and the EP45-UD3P. Sleep, audio, network all working fine. See the post linked in my sig for the stuff I'm using now. Their I/O configurations are actually very similar - didn't have to change extensions when swapping between them. I am not using the 2nd SATA controller on the UD3P.

I'm looking forward to the new Chameleon release, but I'm reluctant to mess up my current installation.

You post on Xlr8yourmac, Bit Shoveler? What's your handle?

Anyway, thanks for the pointers. For the wife's Hackie, cost is the operative word, so I was hoping to keep the mobo around $100 or so. I could go with the UD3R, but do any of the marginally cheaper ones work well, like the UDLR or the UD3LR? Anyone had experience with those? I imagine the chipsets are all very similar, but a little tweak in the board design could be a big issue if it goes the wrong way. Once I have the board, I'll probably grab a 2.5ghz Wolfdale to start out (yeah, low end, but it overclocks to an insane degree) and a Radeon 4830.