Compaq C700 (C791) hackintosh - how? (Vista, Linux currently installed)

HorseloverFat

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

So, Oh the Huge Manatee posted a topic on installing Mac OS X (iPC, or other 'distro', if better) on Compaq C700. And it disappeared. This and the fact that I wish to ask some more detailed questions has prompted me to create this thread.

So, my specs are visible here:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/7f15ecfab40...c5ac9ef95775544

I'm running two systems currently: Windows Vista and Archlinux and use the GRUB boot loader (one, standard hard-drive).

I would like to install Mac OS X now, as the third system, or overwrite Archlinux (man, I'm too old for Linux-related problems and lack the software I need). So, the question is, how do I do it? I could buy an USB pendrive (or USB drive) for this as well. Just tell me how to do it. I am aware that the webcam and wireless won't work at the moment, but I am willing to tinker with it anyhow.

Any help?

Thank you in advance.

I still haven't heard from the moderator I wrote to about the disappeared topic... but in the meantime, here's an abbreviated version.

Install from iPC 10.5.6 . When you customize the install, make sure to check

Conexant audio driver

fixed high speed USB driver

fixed PS/2 keyboard driver

there are some other patches etc available to install, I didn't find any of them necessary except the application Kext Helper for first time installers. It makes driver replacements easy.

On first boot, make sure to enter boot option -f . You should have video working out of the box with QE/CI, and audio should work with the built in speakers. I have attached the two kexts you need to install to get the audio ports working. You must also delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to make these kexts kick in. I HAD kexts to make speedstep and the battery icon work, but this forum was my only backup of those.

Oh, and it will look like your AR5007 card works, but it doens't. Try joining a network, even using the ar5007 10.5.5 trick posted all over this forum... it just doesn't work with a vanilla 10.5.6 .

Sound_kexts.zip

I still haven't heard from the moderator I wrote to about the disappeared topic... but in the meantime, here's an abbreviated version.

Install from iPC 10.5.6 . When you customize the install, make sure to check

Conexant audio driver

fixed high speed USB driver

fixed PS/2 keyboard driver

there are some other patches etc available to install, I didn't find any of them necessary except the application Kext Helper for first time installers. It makes driver replacements easy.

On first boot, make sure to enter boot option -f . You should have video working out of the box with QE/CI, and audio should work with the built in speakers. I have attached the two kexts you need to install to get the audio ports working. You must also delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to make these kexts kick in. I HAD kexts to make speedstep and the battery icon work, but this forum was my only backup of those.

Oh, and it will look like your AR5007 card works, but it doens't. Try joining a network, even using the ar5007 10.5.5 trick posted all over this forum... it just doesn't work with a vanilla 10.5.6 .

Installed by trial and error method. I had no idea that I do not have to select a kernel, a graphic card driver etc. Took me around 6 hours until I booted into the system :) But it works and is beautiful. I have an iBook, but nothing works on the PPC architecture. Now I can enjoy a Mac again... when I buy a new wireless card. I would prefer to wait for some solution, in order not to risk flashing BIOS and stuff ;)

I have the battery working - installed some ACPI manager after successful system install (just used the install DVD once in the system, Patches/ dir). The only real thing I miss is the internet connection.

Is there a console command or utility to check the speed of the fans/temperature?

Time to check the retail version now, but I will need some free time for that.

Btw. how do I make the touchpad work?

Cheers!

OK, I managed to install it. Touchpad works, sound works, headphones still don't (even though I installed the kexts provided by you). I have installed Miro for movies and Adium as my messenger. I also have wifi by using WUSBGC54 (Linksys) and fixed the fan/temp. issues by following some advice on this forum. The battery life is about 1 hour though. From time to time I get asked for a reboot, but that is not too often. All in all, very nice :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm wondering, I have also a C700 model (C768LA) and I have no idea how to get the battery icon, in fact at the energy saver tab on system preferences, i don't even get a choice between AC/battery ...

nobattery.png

I googled ACPI and "battery icon hackintosh" with no luck ... but maybe you can help me, I'm running 10.5.5 from iAtkos

EDIT:

Solved the battery issue with Voodoo Power kexts. From this page

http://www.dailyblogged.com/960/os-x-1057-...allation-guide/

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT:

Solved the battery issue with Voodoo Power kexts. From this page

http://www.dailyblogged.com/960/os-x-1057-...allation-guide/

When I installed Voodoo Power, it wrecked my fan control. Now my fans don't control the temperature properly, so I get kernel panics about once every 2 days or so. Today, I uninstalled the voodoopower kext, and now my fans are full speed all the time.

If that guide was still up, I'd have the right fan control kext to install again to fix the problem. But it's not, so I don't.

I never got a response from the mod I wrote about the post, and even I don't have copies of the files or information.

Generally, install iPC. Don't select a graphics driver, the default enables QE/CI for our chipset. Get the IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext from elsewhere on the forums to get speedstep working.

Beyond that, I don't remember what I did. That's why I wrote the guide in the first place! /sigh/

Feel free to PM me or post on this thread with questions, I'll do my best to answer.

The only thing that never worked for me was S3 sleep and hibernate. Actually, S3/hibernate work, but WAKE doesn't! Wake seems to disable all my kexts, including audio, power management, throttling, and fan control. The second time I try to sleep, I get a KP. Bootup is so fast for me that it's not terrible to just power down, but I REALLY would like a proper sleep mode.

Anyone got this figured out?

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated to 10.5.7 with the apple updater. I had to reinstall my custom AppleHDA.kext and HDAenabler.kext, and I took the PowerManagement.bundle from my 10.5.6 installation (rather than the older one I was using before)....

And S3 sleep works. Beautifully, I might add. I have had the occasional KP, I'll post more if it's related.

UPDATE: Sleep and wake do work perfectly... but on wake it doesn't re-enable a few of my kexts... like powermanagement. So it wakes back up, and I can watch the CPU temperature climb to amazing highs before I finally get a KP. Anyone have advice on getting your CPU fans back into gear post-sleep?

• 2 months later...
And S3 sleep works. Beautifully, I might add. I have had the occasional KP, I'll post more if it's related.

Since then I monkeyed with a bunch of my powermanagement kexts, and now my CPU throttling and fan control are completely wrecked. Sleep/wake is wonderfully reliable, but it reliably breaks all the non-core kexts (sound, battery meter etc). And I overheat all the time, which is a massive pain in the butt. sigh.

Anyone care to write an update C776CA doc for optimal sleep/wake performance?