iPC 10.5.6 on a XPS 420 - Need some help, I'm not sure what to do

brou

5 posts in this topic

To begin with, I HAD iAtkos 5i up and working flawlessly with 10.5.5. It took a while, and some luck, to get the proper kexts so I could get sound, but it finally worked.

I decided I wanted 10.5.6. I want to run the new iLife which requires it. So I attempted an update. Bad move, I kept getting the dreaded "Still waiting on root device error".

So, I decided to go a different way. I downloaded and ran the iPC 10.5.6 iso and ran that. It boots up nicely, but no matter what I do I can't get any sound working. This is my biggest issue.

"About the mac" tells me that my Q6600 is running at 4.3GHz, system profiler tells me there's been an error while gathering information. And the computer name is monstrously huge.

What I do know:

The audio device is a Sigmatel 9227. I believe I selected the 9.6.0 kernel, but I can't see that in system profiler.

I have attempted to use several 9227 kexts, as well as the AppleHDAPatcher 1.20 (using a codec dump from Knoppix).

Please help if you can. I'm not sure what info is needed, but just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

;)

To begin with, I HAD iAtkos 5i up and working flawlessly with 10.5.5. It took a while, and some luck, to get the proper kexts so I could get sound, but it finally worked.

I decided I wanted 10.5.6. I want to run the new iLife which requires it. So I attempted an update. Bad move, I kept getting the dreaded "Still waiting on root device error".

So, I decided to go a different way. I downloaded and ran the iPC 10.5.6 iso and ran that. It boots up nicely, but no matter what I do I can't get any sound working. This is my biggest issue.

"About the mac" tells me that my Q6600 is running at 4.3GHz, system profiler tells me there's been an error while gathering information. And the computer name is monstrously huge.

What I do know:

The audio device is a Sigmatel 9227. I believe I selected the 9.6.0 kernel, but I can't see that in system profiler.

I have attempted to use several 9227 kexts, as well as the AppleHDAPatcher 1.20 (using a codec dump from Knoppix).

Please help if you can. I'm not sure what info is needed, but just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

:(

Dude, you got a Dell.

• 2 weeks later...

What I do know:

:)

Hi ! I'm having trouble ansering the post... it seems to not be detecting my writing.

Anyways, I got my 9227 to work on my XPS 420...

The process I needed to do it by using the linux dump. drag it onto AppleHDApatcher 1.2, then do appleHDA 1.12 (it adds another output, 1.12 willl also take a longer while when it's repairing the permissions)...

Restart your hacintosh

The sound may work... or not (if it does work restart it... and if it still works... that is great)

But for me it didn't work after restarting a second time, so what you should do is redo the 1.2 and 1.12 patching process and the sound should start up without even needing to reboot... (strange I know but it works)

Next, go to dik utility and repair your permissions manually... I noticed that the Patcher doesn't actually repair the; properlly... and tada !!! You hear a magnificient sound on your XPS420 !

Now it's your turn to help me Brou... I've got difficulties getting IPC10.5.6 installed... how did you get it to work? No matter what I put as a chipset driver, it always says "still waiting on root device" ! So what were your settings please?