Can't connect to internet, and Audio issues.

djanim8

5 posts in this topic

I finally got iPc 10.5.6 installed on my Dell XPS 720 and have been working on getting the internet and audio working on the OSX.

I really know NOTHING about how to do any of this, so I've been trying to find what I can on here. I still can't get the audio to work at all, and got the OS to see the Ethernet card, but can't get it to connect to the internet.

The network card is a on-board Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet controller. I managed to get the card to work with the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext that I found on here, and some of the tutorials. But now I can't get it to find the internet. I've got comcast cable modem, and a DLink router hooked up. I've tried plugging the CAT5 directly into the cable modem, but it still can't get on the internet. Can anyone help me with this? I managed to snap this photo while it was in verbose mode:

IMG_0009.JPG

And for the audio, I've tried what I can on here.. but really have no idea what I'm doing. I have the SigmaTel High Definition Audio card, but don't know how to figure out what version it is (i.e. 9220... or whatever)

In verbose mode, I saw this:

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property.

IMG_0003.JPG

Can anyone help me out with this?

Dunno about the sound, but I can see on your picture, that DHCP is enabled. Give your nic a static ip-address. If you go through the router, add the routers-ip in the preferences, if you go through your modem, you can leave that field blank. 192.168.0.2 should work for you. Check your routers IP to be sure.

Dunno about the sound, but I can see on your picture, that DHCP is enabled. Give your nic a static ip-address. If you go through the router, add the routers-ip in the preferences, if you go through your modem, you can leave that field blank. 192.168.0.2 should work for you. Check your routers IP to be sure.

Well the ethernet says its connected, but going into safari I get "no internet"

running ipconfig on my laptop gives me this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

again, not 100% sure of what I'm doing, but I entered this into the network prefs:

IP Address: 192.168.1.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: blank

Search Domains: blank

and I still get "You are not connected to the internet" with safari...

any ideas? what am I doing wrong?

oh and I put the 192.168.0.2 in both the IP Address and Router and nothing worked....

Alright, your conf is good, but a DNS-Server is missing. If you're going with a static ip, you have to assign your DNS manually too. Also open Terminal and enter this: ping 192.168.1.1

If there is a reply, then the connection is established. For the DNS, you might be able to use your router for that. Depending how your router is configured. So either put 192.168.1.1 into DNS-Server or the IP-Address of your ISP DNS-Server.