this is my first endeavor and want to ask advice.

daboking

3 posts in this topic

i was recently laid off my job as an audio editor on a mac pro system, but still do work for others on the side. I want to try putting one of these together, and though I would bounce my hardware selections off you guys to see if anyone can keep me from making any headaches or mistakes. I am a noob, so I will not pretend to know what I am talking about, but necessity requires that I get a working mac OS system on a no income at this time budget. Anyway, here are my hardware selections I wanted to ask your advice about here on the forum:

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9650 3GHz 1333MHz 12MB LGA775 CPU. OEM

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

case: Thermaltake Spedo VI90001N2Z Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

graphics card: XFX PVT98WYDFU GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

hard drives: 2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drives - OEM

memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

(PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory... total 8 gig

power supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600W ATX12V v2.01

2nd boot: have official vista for dual boot in case of probs with mac side so work can continue

mouse: Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi

keyboard: already have one

Network Adapter: ASUS WL-138g V2 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter

DVD Burner: I have no ideas here

Thanks so much for your advice in advance... I look forward to any tips you all may have.

i have looked at the osx database, and any piece of hardware I have looked at, comes up without review... so I started clicking on everything, and all look blank and awaiting reviews.

The wiki... is confusing the way it is laid out. I am not really understanding all the jargon and steps people took to get pieces to work. I am a noob, and I really trying this out of desperation, needing to crash course and learn quickly to set up a system. I know updates will be out of the question, but to at least get pro-tools running again would be a necessity for me. Sorry for my ignorance... I will look again and read around to see if I can learn anything more.