OS X on External HD

OSXisAwesome

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a 20GB external hard drive that I want to install OS X on because my laptop's HD is rather small and I have some difficulty partitioning it. I have a LG R400 with the following specs:

- ATI X2300 Graphic Card (128MB VRAM)

- Intel T2130 CPU (1.86GHz Core2Duo)

- 2.5GB RAM

- Atheros AR5007EG Wifi Card

- Realtek Speakers

I was wondering what distro of OS X would be able to give support for my wifi card (dont really mind not having speakers) and install without much problems?

Which kernel should I use since someone said I shouldn't use Vanilla (I have downloaded iDeneb v1.4)?

Which patches should I use with my laptop (I chose my X2300 driver, Vanilla kernel, tried voodoo kernel as well, and the cpus=1 fix patches but the install didnt work both times)

How can I go about installing iDeneb v1.4 on a external HD, and getting it to install and boot from the external HD (so that I can use windows when I need to and when I want to use OS X I just plug in the HD - I can set up the BIOS to load from external HD first).

Thanks alot, I am new to OSx86 - I have tried installing OSX on my laptop partition and it didnt work.

You should be able to use Vanilla kernel on that system

WiFi you can install after installing OSX, by finding and downloading the drivers from this forum

Boot your install DVD, open Disk Utility, select your external drive, format and partition.

Ok, so I tried to do an install on the external HD and I only selected the essential stuff in the customize part and i selected my video driver (ati x2300) and i selected my wifi (atheros ar5007eg). But when I rebooted after the successful install screen it got stuck on the apple loading screen for a very long time and never progressed. Please help. This is all in iDeneb v1.4