Dell Inspiron 6000 with iPC 10.5.6

Assie

5 posts in this topic

Notebook specs: (copy/paste from the Dell invoice !)

-------------------

N04605-DHS6000GOOD

6000 SHARED GRAPHICS: Celeron M 350 (1.30GHz 1MB L2 cache 400MHz

FSB) & up to 128MB shared graphics memory

15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel

512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2x256MB)

40GB (5,400rpm) IDE Hard Drive

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software

Primary 53 Watt/Hour, 6 CELL Battery

Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics Up to 128MB shared system memory

UK - Modem Cable and Adapter

For CELERON M processors - EURO - Intel ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini

PCI Wireless LAN Card

English - (QWERTY) - Internal Keyboard

I used iPC 10.5.6, and selected the following:

----------------------------------------------------

- 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel

- Intel GMA900 driver

- Intel ICHx chipset driver

- AC97 audio driver

- did not install an ethernet driver as I never use it

- Intel Pro Wireless 2200 driver

- AppleACPIBatteryManager

- Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 patch

- PS/2 Device Support (all)

- Patch DSDT

First reboot after installer with -f -v -x switches. Everything selected worked out of the box, apart from the wireless which disconnected frequently. Stuck the wireless router from g to b, which made it better but not ideal...

Hope this helps - good luck !!

• 5 months later...
Notebook specs: (copy/paste from the Dell invoice !)

-------------------

N04605-DHS6000GOOD

6000 SHARED GRAPHICS: Celeron M 350 (1.30GHz 1MB L2 cache 400MHz

FSB) & up to 128MB shared graphics memory

15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel

512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2x256MB)

40GB (5,400rpm) IDE Hard Drive

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software

Primary 53 Watt/Hour, 6 CELL Battery

Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics Up to 128MB shared system memory

UK - Modem Cable and Adapter

For CELERON M processors - EURO - Intel ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini

PCI Wireless LAN Card

English - (QWERTY) - Internal Keyboard

I used iPC 10.5.6, and selected the following:

----------------------------------------------------

- 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel

- Intel GMA900 driver

- Intel ICHx chipset driver

- AC97 audio driver

- did not install an ethernet driver as I never use it

- Intel Pro Wireless 2200 driver

- AppleACPIBatteryManager

- Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 patch

- PS/2 Device Support (all)

- Patch DSDT

First reboot after installer with -f -v -x switches. Everything selected worked out of the box, apart from the wireless which disconnected frequently. Stuck the wireless router from g to b, which made it better but not ideal...

Hope this helps - good luck !!

Hey, I have about the same hardware.

I have also a Wireless LAN PC Card, but i'm the OS wont recognize it.

would the intel pro wireless driver make a difference?

Why do you use the DSDT patch and the seatbelt?

Thanks in advance..

• 3 weeks later...

OK, posting doesn't like me either so I'll be brief this time:

I'm trying to install iPC Universal 10.5.6 on an Inspiron 6000, similar to the one above, except with the ATI X300 Mobility video, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 2GB Ram at 533MHz.

It gets to the Disk Utility in the GUI Installer fine, but it either does flashes a few quick "Unmounting..." "Preparing to Erase..." messages than the Utility seems to refresh and nothing has been changed, or on occasion it will throw an error: "Could not read the Partition Table"

I have WinXP and Arch-Linux on the computer already and Grub as a bootloader, but since the Disk Utility seems to be able to read my disk, I'm confused as to why it fails to format the partition set aside for OSX. I have tried using other partitioning tools to get a bootable HFS+ filesystem ready to go, but the Installer won't use it. Any thoughts or help is much appreciated, this is turning into a weeklong project...

Edit: If there is a way to pre-partition the drive in such a way that the installer reads a partition as install ready in the destination chooser, I'm up to the help, I tried with GParted, but I don't know enough about the HFS+ filesystem Mac needs to get it running.

Edit some more:

I am currently posting from Safari in iPC's OSX 10.5.6 Universal Distro, apparently Disk Utility did not like my Linux written Master Boot Record, so I'm up and running with options:

- Voodoo 9.5.0

- Natit (1024 x 768 on a 1920x1200 screen though >< )

- Intel ICHx Chipset

- AC97 Audio

- AppleBCM440X (Dell Inspiron also uses the Broadcom 440X, for those who want ethernet, which works or i wouldn't be posting now ^^)

- Intel Proset 2200 Wireless (Doesn't seem to be liking my hidden SSID, does connect to open university wireless though)

- Voodoo Power (Don't see any battery meter... )

- Clamshell (screen freezes unless I hit the power key after closing the lid)

- PS/2 Keyboard

Overall its working fine, just have to iron out the kinks. Seeing as I am a total newbie to the world of Apple, we'll see how it goes. Now I need to figure out all this kext stuff so I can get this thing running flawlessly :(

-- Van

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to install iPC Universal 10.5.6 on an Inspiron 6000, similar to the one above, except with the ATI X300 Mobility video, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 2GB Ram at 533MHz.

It gets to the Disk Utility in the GUI Installer fine, but it either does flashes a few quick "Unmounting..." "Preparing to Erase..." messages than the Utility seems to refresh and nothing has been changed, or on occasion it will throw an error: "Could not read the Partition Table"

I have WinXP and Arch-Linux on the computer already and Grub as a bootloader, but since the Disk Utility seems to be able to read my disk, I'm confused as to why it fails to format the partition set aside for OSX. I have tried using other partitioning tools to get a bootable HFS+ filesystem ready to go, but the Installer won't use it. Any thoughts or help is much appreciated, this is turning into a weeklong project...

Edit: If there is a way to pre-partition the drive in such a way that the installer reads a partition as install ready in the destination chooser, I'm up to the help, I tried with GParted, but I don't know enough about the HFS+ filesystem Mac needs to get it running.

Edit some more:

I am currently posting from Safari in iPC's OSX 10.5.6 Universal Distro, apparently Disk Utility did not like my Linux written Master Boot Record, so I'm up and running with options:

- Voodoo 9.5.0

- Intel ICHx Chipset

- AC97 Audio

- AppleBCM440X (Dell Inspiron also uses the Broadcom 440X, for those who want ethernet, which works or i wouldn't be posting now ^^)

- Intel Proset 2200 Wireless (Doesn't seem to be liking my hidden SSID, does connect to open university wireless though)

- PS/2 Keyboard

Overall its working fine, just have to iron out the kinks. Seeing as I am a total newbie to the world of Apple, we'll see how it goes. Now I need to figure out all this kext stuff so I can get this thing running flawlessly :(

-- Van

wireless isnt working on mine at all

do i need a serpeate program to do so?

Also, after i install it goes into the OS but when I reboot it boots to a light-blue screen and freezes

im using Dell Inspiron 6400

• 1 month later...

Edit some more:

- Voodoo 9.5.0

- Intel ICHx Chipset

- AC97 Audio

- PS/2 Keyboard

Overall its working fine, just have to iron out the kinks. Seeing as I am a total newbie to the world of Apple, we'll see how it goes. Now I need to figure out all this kext stuff so I can get this thing running flawlessly ^_^

-- Van

To see battery meter, you will have to get the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext file. Then it showed the batter meter, but it seemed to also affected my restart/shutdown, so I used the openhaltrestart.kext file to fix that.

Did you ever got sleep/wake to work? I can't seem to do that. Also, do you know how to change the resolutions as well?