Same Question Different User Installation of Tiger

Kristiaan

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

just registered so please be gentle :D

i have an old hand build PC its a 1.5Ghz intel box, nothing special and no particulars on the hardware as im no where near it as present, my question is probably one that has been answered millions of times before (apologies for posting it again).

How simple is it to install osx on the above mentioned pc box with a bog standard retail copy of tiger or leopard (i have both).

is it a matter of sticking the cd in the drive and getting the PC to boot from it and go from there? or do i need to bittorrent a load of ISO files to get things off the ground?

only really looking todo it as my intended os x reciepient is a piece of junk (B&W rev1 powermac). and the pc is kicking around doing nothing. its not going to be used for anything special just surfing the internet and using MS Office on it.

I would just prefer it to be running OS X to a windows as i will not be the primary user and i am worried about them filling it full of spyware, trojans, etc etc. and do not look forward to reinstalling it everytime they decide to click on a link that then installs every nasty off the internet (ok i know this is a bit of an exageration but u know what i mean)

any help or suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

thanks

Kris

How simple it will be depends on the hardware.

If you really want OSX on it for the reasons you said, just install Linux on it. A distro that's free, pretty and easy to use like Linux Mint for example.

Hi Beerkex'd,

thanks for the reply regarding this, i was considering unbuntu but been as im an os x user thought it might be easier for them to get to grips with, but from reading some of the messages on here it might be a lot easier in the long run as i could be opening a large can or worms i don't really want. with all the different and sometime random errors it could generate.

will get an ubuntu iso tmrw and give it ago, the hardware is old enough that it should be supported by ubuntu by now :D

thanks again.

Kris