What Customization options to Select in iPC Install

Lightsout565

18 posts in this topic

I burned the Latest iPC 10.5.6 to a DVD and everything boots fine. I go to customize the install and there are tons of different options to choose from. Which ones should I choose? It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with selecting the different options. Here is a LINK to all the choices.

<<< System Summary >>>

> Model : HP M7160n

> Mainboard : Asus P5LP-LE (Limestone)

> Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ

> Processor : Intel Pentium D 820 @ 2800 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

> Hard Disk : ST3250823AS (250 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 1040r

> DVD Rom Drive : ASUS DVD-E616P3H

> Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801GB I/O Controller Hub LAN

> Audio: Realtek ALC 882 chipset

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

The voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and 10.5.5 seatbelt fix are mandatory for your hardware.

If you have PS2 keyboard and mouse pick a PS2 fix.

Audio and LAN should be self-explanatory.

Don't pick anything else...and see how it goes.

If it worked, you can get video acceleration (and whatever else didn't work) working post install.

Or, if not, you can install again and pick more stuff.

But generally, if you have no idea what you're doing, it's better to select as little as possible.

About Seatbelt.kext, look at the stickies at the top of the Leopard sub-section of the post-installation forum.

OSX supports video acceleration but you won't get any until you get your video card installed.

iPC offers a myriad of injectors and graphics driver packages, but if you don't know what you're doing it's better to not select any of them.

To begin with you should focus on just getting the OS to boot. Since you are a complete n00b, until you can get it to boot the less stuff you pick under custom install, the better.

When its says "Drop the Seatbelt.kext that you want to add to your system on to your desktop. Open Terminal and type the following:" is that in Mac OSX or in Windows? So I need to install Seatbelt.kext after the installation, in the Mac OS? Also, after the initial install and it reboots should I use the boot flags -v -f

No.

Like I already said, just pick it under custom install. You asked "what is the seatbelt fix" and I posted the link so you could read the answer to your question.

If you read the 'agreement screen' text before starting the installation you can see PCWiz recommends you boot with -f after installation. He also tells you why.

-v is short for verbose, which means rather than looking at a friendly gray apple you get to see what's actually happening during boot. This is useful for troubleshooting.

HOORAY!!! It booted up fine, but the internet doesn't work. During the customization, I selected the Intel PRO/100 Ethernet Driver. Any suggestions? Also whats the difference between the NVinject 0.2.1 256MB VRAM and the NVdarwin 256MB? What should I use with my 8600GT?

Great. Good work.

NVInject and NVDarwin are video injectors. They act as a bridge between your Nvidia video card and OSX' Nvidia drivers.

NVInject has not had a new release for a long time, and NVDarwin is now called CoreVidia.

Download it from here:

http://osx86tuga.com/index.php?showtopic=55

About your ethernet, here's something that might help:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=657388

Here's something else:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48404

I can't really help you with that, I have no experience with ICH7 LAN. You'll have to do some searching.

Use LSPCI to get your device ID, then use that as a search term, that will make it so much easier to find someone else with the same hardware. And don't ask me what LSPCI is, just start searching... ^_^

If the InsanelyMac search isn't working for you, you can use this:

http://######.com/osx86search/

Great, well done.

Yes, Apple USB keyboards work fine.

Basically any external hardware like Bluetooth, Firewire and USB gear that says it works with OSX on the box will work on a Hackintosh - as long as you've got Bluetooth, USB and Firewire working in the first place.

Something I have been noticing is when I minimize things, It seems a little choppy. How could verify the my gfx card is working? Also, should I try another install method, maybe EFI strings? I'm currently using NVinject.

Something I have been noticing is when I minimize things, It seems a little choppy. How could verify the my gfx card is working? Also, should I try another install method, maybe EFI strings? I'm currently using NVinject.

Check for Core Image hardware acceleration and Quartz Extreme support under Graphics/Displays in Sytem Profiler.....

It says it is a Nvidia chipset, so it is working. If I change the video injectors would there be any possible performance increase or should I just stay with what I got.

Does it say:

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

if so, you will have the graphics performance your card is capable of......

No. It says

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

EDIT: Ok, I installed EFI studio over at nvinstaller.com. I selected my graphics card and selected add device and write to com.apple.Boot.plist and everything works. After I rebooted I checked system profiler and it now says:

No. It says

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

EDIT: Ok, I installed EFI studio over at nvinstaller.com. I selected my graphics card and selected add device and write to com.apple.Boot.plist and everything works. After I rebooted I checked system profiler and it now says:

OK.....your graphics performance should be OK now.....