How much ram will OSx86 detect?

4 posts in this topic

I am about to dual boot this with Vista 64 and I was wondering how much ram will it recognize?

I am about to upgrade to 8gb, will it recognize that much ram?

Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz

8800 GTS 640mb

2gb ram

gigabyte p35-ds3r

Vista 64

sure will. it's a 64-bit OS, can detect more than your motherboard supports

• 4 weeks later...
sure will. it's a 64-bit OS, can detect more than your motherboard supports

Keep in mind that just because the OS can detect that much RAM doesn't mean that all applications can address it. Most apps written using Carbon (including Final Cut and Adobe Creative Suite through at least version 3) are 32 bit aps and won't benefit from the added RAM much over 4 gig. Cocoa is Apple's 64 bit api going forward and all the software publishers (including Apple) will have to switch to that for 64 bit support.

Keep in mind that just because the OS can detect that much RAM doesn't mean that all applications can address it. Most apps written using Carbon (including Final Cut and Adobe Creative Suite through at least version 3) are 32 bit aps and won't benefit from the added RAM much over 4 gig. Cocoa is Apple's 64 bit api going forward and all the software publishers (including Apple) will have to switch to that for 64 bit support.

This is true, but the OS will at least map the max for each application instance, so even though one 32 bit app can't easily address more than 4gb, two 32 apps can theoretically address the full 8gb.