OS X 10.5.6 on a Dell Optiplex GX270

sdschramm

12 posts in this topic

Hello. I know just about anything about Mac's and PC's but when it comes to mixing them together to make a hackintosh, I am a noob. Can anyone out there help me? I'd like to get 10.5.6 Leopard running on this Dell.

Here are the specs:

(hopefully that is enough information, if not, let me know what you need and I will get it!)

Dell Optiplex GX270

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.60 GHZ

40GB IDE Hard Drive

160GB IDE Hard Drive (added)

1GB Ram (plan to upgrade later)

CD-ROM Drive/DVD+-RW Drive

Graphics: nVida GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP 8X (has 64MB vRam)

Ethernet: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Wireless: D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Rev B.

Sound: SoundMAX Integrated digital Audio

I have acquired two different versions of the install disk: "iDenb 1.4" and "XxX 10.5.6 Leo Install Disc Rev1"

Both were burned and verified at 2x on reliable media.

I have tried both. Didn't seem to get anywhere with the iDenb so tried the XxX disk. This one seemed to give me more luck, but I can't get it to fully boot. I'm guessing its because I have the wrong combination of drivers selected. Every time I've tired to do the install (i've tried about 10 – 15 times now) The install will finish and everything will be successful, but when it tires to boot for the first time, it never does. I can do the F8 and -V thing and that will give me lines of code to tell me what is stopping it, but I still can't seem to get it to work.

So I am starting fresh (I always have – I have nothing to loose) and am open for suggestions of things I need to do to get this to work. And by the way, I already tired selecting ALL of the drivers, but that results in an error before the installer even starts saying that "this software can not be installed on this machine" - So I can't just select everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tired with no drivers, all the drivers, and then only selcted drivers that I'm told I need.

Each time I get hung at a random line. I'll google the line, find out what I need to fix it, reinstall and then will get stuck at another problem.

I can't keep doing this.

I need someone to tell me what disk i need to use, and what options to select when installing. Then, i can report any errors and go from there.

I've tired with no drivers, all the drivers, and then only selcted drivers that I'm told I need.

Each time I get hung at a random line. I'll google the line, find out what I need to fix it, reinstall and then will get stuck at another problem.

I can't keep doing this.

I need someone to tell me what disk i need to use, and what options to select when installing. Then, i can report any errors and go from there.

It sounds like you'll need the disk labeled "Microsoft Windows XP"

On the GX260s and GX270, it's not only a chipset issue, but combined with a incompatible BIOS and the way Dell wrote it to control their Graphics display, allowing it to have a special PCI-e extender card to give you DVI output, this machine is set to be near impossible to run OSX! I've tried iPC iDeneb v4 and XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final none installed!

I recently finished a set of Dells (34 of them) for a charity in Africa, they included GX260, GX270 and GX280's

The GX280s had a AWARD based BIOS, that allowed me to install iPC 10.5.6 in it but once again due to the Graphics situation and the BIOS handling the Memory allocation I could only run System Profiler in Rosetta and as you can see by the attached pics there are some errors in the configuration, BUT, the system runs stable, sleeps, shutsdown connects to the internet via the onboard NIC, although the mac address is 00:00:00:00:00! All and all it is a great machine with all its little faults!

@SticMAC™

Thanks for replying and sharing with us. Thats too bad.....no wonder I haven't been able to get this to work.

So is there anything I can do other then put linux or some other OS on here? Would a non-AGP video card fix the situation - because if I get this thing running I was going to get a new graphics card with Dual DVI's and stuff - and it looks like I can't use PIC Express so I would need to get a regular PCI card. If I bought a new card and took out the AGP card, would that fix or improve anything, or would I just be wasting my time.

THANKS for your help. I'm glad someone is here!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Dell Optiplex 270, 512M, 40G IDE, laptop style DVD that I've had some success arriving at a Mac desktop with ... at least once (iPC 10.5.6 and Leo4all 4.1). Behavior once up is promising but things are very far from right - no on-board LAN (don't have card to plug in right now), USB drives don't mount and, despite the fact that I'd just used it to install, no sign of working CD/DVD mountability. Another oddity is Startup Disk pref pane can't see the OS it's running on (this could just be my misunderstanding of how Leo behaves - my Macs are all running older versions).

As a rule, once I've shutdown or rebooted, the OS installed to the hard drive will not boot again, producing the enigmatic B0 ERROR on an otherwise black screen. This evening I was messing around and managed to get the hard drive to boot by a very peculiar process: I shoved the install DVD in right after three finger salute, and proceeded to fumble about on the F8 key (it was dark, I didn't have my glasses ...) and most likely its neighbors. The first time I did this, when the grey apple on the white background appeared with its whirlygig whirling, I thought it was booting from the DVD ... until I notice that it sound strange for a DVD, its light was off and the hard disk activity light was running.

When the desktop settled down, I tried to mound a USB drive. No go. But I'd seen them mount ... if they were present at boot time and I wanted to see if I could dupilicate this strange behavior. I restarted and opened the DVD drive. I tried several times to fumble about the F8 and it's neighbors without the DVD latched. Always hung on the B0 ERROR. Stuck the DVD in and, wonder of wonders, fumbled my way to the desktop once again via the hard drive. In addition, the USB drive had mounted. I dismounted it, waited a bit, and plugged it back in. It mounted.

@ 'mspeeggy'

Thanks for sharing that info with us.

I just bough an old MacBook off cragis list, and since then, I haven't touched my Hackintosh. So I guess I gave up. However, I may try and make a disk with the one you mentioned to see if I have any luck. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna give up with this system atleast as a previous poster said that it can't really be done.

Oh well, but thanks for posting back!

• 2 months later...
Hello. I know just about anything about Mac's and PC's but when it comes to mixing them together to make a hackintosh, I am a noob. Can anyone out there help me? I'd like to get 10.5.6 Leopard running on this Dell.

Here are the specs:

(hopefully that is enough information, if not, let me know what you need and I will get it!)

Dell Optiplex GX270

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.60 GHZ

40GB IDE Hard Drive

160GB IDE Hard Drive (added)

1GB Ram (plan to upgrade later)

CD-ROM Drive/DVD+-RW Drive

Graphics: nVida GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP 8X (has 64MB vRam)

Ethernet: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Wireless: D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Rev B.

Sound: SoundMAX Integrated digital Audio

I have acquired two different versions of the install disk: "iDenb 1.4" and "XxX 10.5.6 Leo Install Disc Rev1"

Both were burned and verified at 2x on reliable media.

I have tried both. Didn't seem to get anywhere with the iDenb so tried the XxX disk. This one seemed to give me more luck, but I can't get it to fully boot. I'm guessing its because I have the wrong combination of drivers selected. Every time I've tired to do the install (i've tried about 10 – 15 times now) The install will finish and everything will be successful, but when it tires to boot for the first time, it never does. I can do the F8 and -V thing and that will give me lines of code to tell me what is stopping it, but I still can't seem to get it to work.

So I am starting fresh (I always have – I have nothing to loose) and am open for suggestions of things I need to do to get this to work. And by the way, I already tired selecting ALL of the drivers, but that results in an error before the installer even starts saying that "this software can not be installed on this machine" - So I can't just select everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott

It can be done.

1) look up DARK$IDE 's post on 10.5.5 (iatkos v5i) on Dell Optiplex GX270 for set up

2) update bios to ver a07

3) enable sata and use a sata hard drive.

4) Make sure your processor is SSE3 capable.

5) Forget about using the onboard video and nic. Safe yourself untold frustration - crack open the wallet and pick up a nvidia 5200 or better video card. Use Titan. You can use either a pci or half height agp card. If you want wired lan, pick up a cheap intel or broadcom card and use the kexts on the installer disc.

Boot off cd, customize your install, and go.

Use osx86 tools and enable quartz extreme. Then back up your kexts and kernel. Download delta update 10.5.6 Install but do not reboot. Use osx86tools to install your backed up kext and kernel. Repair permissions.

Reboot - use -f-v flags on boot.

Enjoy..

• 1 year later...

Hello to all,

I'm new on this forum and not alowed to create a new topic so I want to ask my question first here.

I finally got it togheter to install Iatkos v7 (with SEANtutorial @ Y.O.U.tube) so I got my version of Mac Os X 10.5.7

My hardware is dell optiplex gx270 (latest bios)

only I upgraded a newer CPU (which is 2.8 ghz P4)

the rest is all standard, except hdd

now my question is, can I upgrade with 10.6.3 ISO, or do a clean install?

please let me know.

Cheers

I'd like to see an update write-up using the new iatkos v7 s3. They got rid of the decrypter option along with a few others on the tutorial. Snow Leopard is supposed to be a very optimized version of Leopard and it would be great to run it.

I have tried all the options and have no luck fully installing this new iatkos. It is usually stuck after customizing. Also, the disk utility never works for me. It just hangs at unmounting. I've been using Gparted to format the partitions, and then using iatkos.

Installation is only supposed to take maybe 20 minutes according to uphuck but after over a hour, same screen.

Dark$side's tutorial is good but it's for the older 10.5.7 iatkos.