Loading Kext Problem

Willie92

4 posts in this topic

I'm having a problem get any kext to load.

I'm using iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on a ASUS P5L-MX and it loaded without any problem, but what started me down this path is that my resolution was limited to 1024 x 768. After searching the forums, I found many solutions using the AppleIntelGMA950.kext.

The iDeneb distribution included Kext Helper b7, so I fired that up and thought that would solve it. Kext Helper said it loaded correctly and so I rebooted and nothing changed.

The distribution also included OSx86 Tool Utility that will load kexts. Tried that and it also said the kext loaded fine, so I rebooted and nothing changed.

OK, I thought I better try it manually.

So I fired up the Terminal, logged in a sudo -s, then cd through /System/Library/Extensions, then

chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMA950.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Then back out to Library in order to rm -rf Extensions.mkext

That still didn't work. So I booted into single user mode and when I tried to either chown or chmod, it would tell me that it could not because it was Read-Only, that's the only clue I have as to where I might be stuck.

But I've reset the permissions through both the OSx86 Tool Utility and the Disk Utility and the latter tells me that the disk is read/write

This is my first foray into the Hackintosh world, so is there something really basic I'm messing up???

Thanks!

-Willie

(Hackintosh n00b lookin' for some help...)

I'm having a problem get any kext to load.

I'm using iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on a ASUS P5L-MX and it loaded without any problem, but what started me down this path is that my resolution was limited to 1024 x 768. After searching the forums, I found many solutions using the AppleIntelGMA950.kext.

The iDeneb distribution included Kext Helper b7, so I fired that up and thought that would solve it. Kext Helper said it loaded correctly and so I rebooted and nothing changed.

The distribution also included OSx86 Tool Utility that will load kexts. Tried that and it also said the kext loaded fine, so I rebooted and nothing changed.

OK, I thought I better try it manually.

So I fired up the Terminal, logged in a sudo -s, then cd through /System/Library/Extensions, then

chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMA950.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Then back out to Library in order to rm -rf Extensions.mkext

That still didn't work. So I booted into single user mode and when I tried to either chown or chmod, it would tell me that it could not because it was Read-Only, that's the only clue I have as to where I might be stuck.

But I've reset the permissions through both the OSx86 Tool Utility and the Disk Utility and the latter tells me that the disk is read/write

This is my first foray into the Hackintosh world, so is there something really basic I'm messing up???

Thanks!

-Willie

(Hackintosh n00b lookin' for some help...)

After booting with -s, at :/ root# prompt type mount -uw / and press Enter key, then continue......

In Terminal, type kextstat to see kexts dynamically loaded into kernel during the current boot session......

• 3 weeks later...
After booting with -s, at :/ root# prompt type mount -uw / and press Enter key, then continue......

In Terminal, type kextstat to see kexts dynamically loaded into kernel during the current boot session......

Thanks! Sorry for the tardy reply.

But I solved this by using the iPC 10.5.6 distro. Video resolution for the GMA950 was solved right out of the box after I rebooted following the install.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks! Sorry for the tardy reply.

But I solved this by using the iPC 10.5.6 distro. Video resolution for the GMA950 was solved right out of the box after I rebooted following the install.

I am trying to install iPC 10.5.6 on my P5L-MX right now. I am using a SATA Hard drive with an IDE hard drive for Time Machine. I've had it working fine with iAtkos, but I wanted to switch over to the iPC version.

I was able to get 10.5.6 installed using a few different options but everytime after the install and reboot I get the loading screen and then it locks up after a few minutes. I've booted into verbose and it seems that it always stops around "ocsd[x]: starting".

I've tried Vanilla kernel, Voodoo 9.0.5, and the the StageXNU Universal Kernel. What options did you select for your install? In the meantime I'm trying to get my old 10.5 install back. Thanks in advance!