Leopard 10.5.6 install on Dell Dimension 9100/9150 or XPS 400

jamesmac

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I recently inherited an old Dell Dimension 9150 from a friend, and am trying to experiment and install Leopard 10.5.6 on it. I'm using iPC's 10.5.6 release, but was unable to install onto the machine. When I used the "-v" option, I get:

panic (cpu0 caller 0x002d950D): "nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/bsd/nfs/nfs_vfsops.c:851

some more stuff..

Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6, 2008

I'm new to OSX on PC, so please bare with me. I believe iPC is the most popular release with drivers and probably the easiest install. Is that correct? Does anyone recommend other releases that may be easier for Dell Dimensions? There seems to be good results with JaS 10.4 Tiger installs, but I was hoping to use Leopard if possible.

Any advice is appreciated. Here is my machine specifics:

Dell Dimension 9150

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Hyperthread

3GB Memory (DDR2 533Mhz)

Dell DXP051 Motherboard

Integrated Audio/NIC (Sigmatel STAC 92XX, Intel Pro/1000)

Sapphire Radeon HD3450 (512MB)

Thanks,

James

Just another updated. I used the XxX distro for 10.5.6 and was able to install it. However, upon completion of the install, the computer kept on rebooting in an endless loop.

Any advise would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Just another updated. I used the XxX distro for 10.5.6 and was able to install it. However, upon completion of the install, the computer kept on rebooting in an endless loop.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Were you able to find a solution?

• 5 months later...

I successfully installed iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 on my Dell Dimension 9100 with Pentium D, ATI HD3870 and Audigy 2 ZS. I used the instructions from Kamehameha's blog.

Basically during the install I chose Voodoo kernel 9.xxx, ICHX driver, kxAudioDriver, DSDT patchAppleSMBIOS Macpro. I also chose ACPI, Seatbelt and Carbonlib fix. Installed all the applications incase they I would need them.

I used an RT8139 NIC card and chose that as well for the Ethernet. During the initial restart I did an -f and -v.

Link of the guide I used: http://blog.kamehameha.nl/2009/02/installing-osx86-ipc-1056/

Hope this helps.... ;)