how to install chipset driver

zvacet

10 posts in this topic

I tried to install iPC_OSx_10_5_6 final and get message "Still waiting for root device".In Read me file I found instruction to install chipset driver.How I can do that?Do I have to install it from DVD I downloaded (and how I will do that) or I have to download something else,and if that is a case what and where from(link will be great).Thanks!

I tried to install iPC_OSx_10_5_6 final and get message "Still waiting for root device".In Read me file I found instruction to install chipset driver.How I can do that?Do I have to install it from DVD I downloaded (and how I will do that) or I have to download something else,and if that is a case what and where from(link will be great).Thanks!

Welcome to InsanelyMac! :)

So your saying that you are booting the actual install disk and get this error or have you installed and get this error at startup?

Still waiting for root device

This is generally one of three things:

1. If you are using PATA (The old IDE Ribbon Cable Drives) you will want to make sure that the drive you are installing to is set to MASTER via the jumpers and the actual drive itself. Id also recommend that you have the drive on the cable's first connector.

2. If you are using SATA drives try going into the BIOS and changing the SATA Mode from AHCI to IDE.

3. Chipset related. If your booting the install disk and are getting this issue and the first two do not fix the problem its probably chipset related. In the case of SATA, some motherboards have more than one SATA control and so one or the other may be compatible. You can check your user manual or online to see if this is the case and then plug into the appropriate connector.

Boot-Flags

Ideally you should boot in Verbose Mode until you have your machine running the way you want. This can be done by using the -v boot-flag. When you start the computer up you will see the Darwin bootloader screen. This screen will count down and by pressing the requested key will give you a prompt to enter these boot-options. Now instead of getting a gray screen with Apple logo, you will get useful information about the boot process and see at which line it hangs on.

Other useful boot-flags are:

-f which will load your kexts (drivers) individually instead of from the cache file.

-x which will boot you into Safe Mode loading only the basics

System Specs

Please provide us with some specifications about your system (CPU, Motherboard, Graphics & Model Number if applicable). Adding more specific information allows us to respond quickly with more precise answers. Chipset, LAN, Audio & If your Graphics are integrated or not, are excellent additions.

You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. This can be done via My Controls: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...rCP&CODE=00

Please follow the rules described in this thread (Most importantly keeping your signature to no more than 5 lines of normal text: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=signatures

Sorry because I didn´t give you my hardware spec,so here it is.I use this mobo.

I have AMD 5400 CPU.I get error during install and I know that because i installed in verbrose mode.

Are you saying that if I use boot -f that kext will be installed? Thanks and apologize for my ignorance.

I have got same problem sooo whoo is better?

When u install your mac, in final stepp u had got something like adjust? (two buttoms on the right install on the left that one u have to clik)...

...U will see a lot of things, real all of them.... If there is something about your chipset or proccesor intsall... Rember to install one thing at category, so dont install two kernels, two chipset drivers.......

Rember also to install proper kernel. Just try:)

When u install your mac, in final stepp u had got something like adjust?

Problem is that I can not pass first stage of install.Do you have same mobo or mobo with same chipset  driver?How did you set up BIOS?Sorry for been such a noob but I would like to have Mac on my comp.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late response.I think that my problem is my optical drive,so I will try to solve that.DVD booted once and never again.At that time I didn´t install OSX and now I have to fix optical drive(it looks like it need repair anyway).Thank you for all your help and I believe that I will post here from OSX soon.

• 11 months later...

I was give up of Hackintosh for a long time,but I want to try again.Here is main problem;witch chipset to choose from list?

U have to install proper patch for AMD processor and AMD south brige....

Witch one is that?

Tnx