My i7 Set up. See any problems?

6 posts in this topic

I need to know if anyone has had issues with any of this hardware, I want the lastest version of Leopard on my rig aswell.

G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

Item #:N82E16820231220 $139.001

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Item #:N82E16819115202 $288.991

BFG Tech GeForce GTX 260 BFGEGTX260MC896OCBE Video Card

Item #:N82E16814143173 $194.991

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Item #:N82E16811119160 $149.991

MSI X58 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813130221 $199.991

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Item #:N82E16822136284 $109.991

LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20LK

Item #:N82E16827136154 $99.991

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply

Item #:N82E16817139009 $139.992

CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820145221 $118.001

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Item #:N82E16835103055 $69.992

Acer V223wbmd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Built in Speakers

Item #:N82E16824009149 $339.98

I can't give you an advise based on experience, just from what i read on this forum and other (german) pc-hardware forums.

concerning the motherboard, most people seem to use the available models from gigabyte. in case you need support later on i would choose a board that is very common so more people can answer your questions.

ssds are good, but not all of them. i read very much and in detail about the differences and bugs of drives by various manufactureres. to put it in short terms the only allaround good performing mlc drives for the moment are built by intel / kingston. the slc way is a bit more pricy but also seems to be more troubble free (mtron would be my choice). don't let you get mislead by the height seqential read / write speeds (the 200something MB/s thing) what you want to look out for on a good system-drive for your operating system and applications are good random read and write speeds.

concerning your psu, a good enermax, seasonic, corsair around 550watts would be more than needed, cheaper and more efficient. 850watts are just overkill.

save the money take a good 550 - 650watt psu and spend the savings on 6gb of ram instead of 3.

the nvidia 260 series doesn't seem to be supported (yet?) by osx. concerning more up-to-date video-cards maybe the hd48xx series by ATI seems to be a promising choice as the new apple mac pro are also available with these cards. if i remember correctly leopard 10.5.7 will officially support them.

hope i could give you some help

I can't give you an advise based on experience, just from what i read on this forum and other (german) pc-hardware forums.

concerning the motherboard, most people seem to use the available models from gigabyte. in case you need support later on i would choose a board that is very common so more people can answer your questions.

ssds are good, but not all of them. i read very much and in detail about the differences and bugs of drives by various manufactureres. to put it in short terms the only allaround good performing mlc drives for the moment are built by intel / kingston. the slc way is a bit more pricy but also seems to be more troubble free (mtron would be my choice). don't let you get mislead by the height seqential read / write speeds (the 200something MB/s thing) what you want to look out for on a good system-drive for your operating system and applications are good random read and write speeds.

concerning your psu, a good enermax, seasonic, corsair around 550watts would be more than needed, cheaper and more efficient. 850watts are just overkill.

save the money take a good 550 - 650watt psu and spend the savings on 6gb of ram instead of 3.

the nvidia 260 series doesn't seem to be supported (yet?) by osx. concerning more up-to-date video-cards maybe the hd48xx series by ATI seems to be a promising choice as the new apple mac pro are also available with these cards. if i remember correctly leopard 10.5.7 will officially support them.

hope i could give you some help

Well I have a friend with pretty much the same setup as this and he had problems with his 500wat PSU (when overclocking his i7,with a 9800gt bfg and 3 hdd's), after he installed his third hdd it would go straight to a black screen during bootup. He swapped his 500w for a 750 and fixed it

I also plan on getting up to 6 hdds in the future.And I am going to get 6bg it just doesnt have the quantity listed. The motherboard I chose is for the simple fact its the most overclock friendly, with software(i wont be able to use) and more importantly the ability to overclock from the board. And about the SSD I atleast want to try it and see if it's fast or whatever, If not then it'll be going back. I really dont want to use the ATI 48xx the 260 series has better benchmarks and I've just been a fan of gforce more. When exactly will this 10.5.7 be coming out?

If you dont want advise, why did you ask for it ?

If your intention was / is to overclock, and to add six hard drives to your system, perhaps if you stated that at the outset it might have been useful. Same with the SSD.

> When will 10.5.7 be coming out ?

Only Apple can say. If you knew anything you would know that they dont release dates for updates. It will happen when it is ready.

Please could you do everyone a favor and not complain when you start having troubles with unsupported hardware that you were advised against not getting.

If you dont want advise, why did you ask for it ?

If your intention was / is to overclock, and to add six hard drives to your system, perhaps if you stated that at the outset it might have been useful. Same with the SSD.

> When will 10.5.7 be coming out ?

Only Apple can say. If you knew anything you would know that they dont release dates for updates. It will happen when it is ready.

Please could you do everyone a favor and not complain when you start having troubles with unsupported hardware that you were advised against not getting.

With all due respect,

I said that i was planning...not definite, to add up to 6 HHD in the future, I was simply asking if anyone see's any problems with this setup. And I never said I didn't want advise...why else would I post here? I was merely replying to the first post. And why would i put the SSD if I wasn't going to use it? I asked because maybe someone on this forum had an answer about when 10.5.7 would be coming out...or maybe a guesstamit.

Lastly I dont see the need to be a complete d!ck...you could have easily said no the the update question and not even added your little "im a d!ck" comment at the end about unsupported hardware.

thanks for being a d!ck ;) and for the useless information.

And I ment that, with all due respect.

And to espress0 I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on the intel SSD. I'll have to look into better SSD for cheap, it was really an experiment to see how much faster it would run...if any.

To anyone else I would still like input on my setup. anything is appreciated, thanks