problem installing iDeneb v1.4 !HELP!

chaaalieboy

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've got an Asus P5Q-SE MoBo running a core 2 duo processor. a PNY nVidia 9400GT video card, and a 500gb SATA drive.

I patched the bios to the version posted on the OSX86 Wiki, and now when i reboot with the iDeneb v1.4 DVD in the drive to try and install, I get the initial gray bootup screen with the apple and the spinning circle thingy below it. after about a minute or so the apple gets a little circle with a cross on top of it, which looks kinda like this: (/), then nothing.

am I forgetting anything? any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

Charlie

Hey guys,

I've got an Asus P5Q-SE MoBo running a core 2 duo processor. a PNY nVidia 9400GT video card, and a 500gb SATA drive.

I patched the bios to the version posted on the OSX86 Wiki, and now when i reboot with the iDeneb v1.4 DVD in the drive to try and install, I get the initial gray bootup screen with the apple and the spinning circle thingy below it. after about a minute or so the apple gets a little circle with a cross on top of it, which looks kinda like this: (/), then nothing.

am I forgetting anything? any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

Charlie

Boot using the boot-flag -v and let us know on what line it hangs at.

how do I do that? Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice.

thanks

When you start the machine up it will say Darwin Bootloader and will count down. If you press the key listed it will then allow you to specify boot options. -v will start you up in Verbose Mode and display useful information instead of the Apple logo.

When you start the machine up it will say Darwin Bootloader and will count down. If you press the key listed it will then allow you to specify boot options. -v will start you up in Verbose Mode and display useful information instead of the Apple logo.

last thing it says:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster 10 buffer headers

dsmos: Starting...

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 vectors 0:23

ACPI System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

extension "com.apple.driver.applePCIConficurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

mbinit: done

security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

From path: "uuid"

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 70DA2E5A-5D48-33D0-BD79-85C1B248FCCE

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources,/string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for root device

And it continues like that

Thanks

last thing it says:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster 10 buffer headers

dsmos: Starting...

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 vectors 0:23

ACPI System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

extension "com.apple.driver.applePCIConficurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

mbinit: done

security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

From path: "uuid"

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 70DA2E5A-5D48-33D0-BD79-85C1B248FCCE

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources,/string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

And it continues like that

Thanks

The "still waiting for root device" error

1. If you have PATA (IDE) drives you need to make sure that your hard drive jumper is set to master.

2. If you have SATA then:

1. Check your BIOS and see if you can set your SATA to "IDE Mode" I have also seen this mentioned as AHCI Off in some BIOS

2. Your chipset may not be supported and there is not much you can to install other than using an older PATA drive.

The "still waiting for root device" error

1. If you have PATA (IDE) drives you need to make sure that your hard drive jumper is set to master.

2. If you have SATA then:

1. Check your BIOS and see if you can set your SATA to "IDE Mode" I have also seen this mentioned as AHCI Off in some BIOS

2. Your chipset may not be supported and there is not much you can to install other than using an older PATA drive.

Hey,

It was already set to IDE mode. I just had to switch it to "compatibility mode" too. Dunno if that helps anyone that might go digging and get this post. But now when i get to the "select a destination" screen it doesn't detect my HDD. Ima try erasing the drive and starting over.

It's set to IDE mode, and i can get the installation to start. But once it gets to the select destination screen, it doesnt detect my HDD. I've been fiddling with the bios for an hour, and i can't figure out how to set any kind of master/slave designation. doees anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone think formatting the drive would help?

It's set to IDE mode, and i can get the installation to start. But once it gets to the select destination screen, it doesnt detect my HDD. I've been fiddling with the bios for an hour, and i can't figure out how to set any kind of master/slave designation. doees anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone think formatting the drive would help?

On PATA (EIDE) hard drives there are jumpers and a set of pins in the back where the ribbon cable and power cable plug in. You should find a chart on the drives label that will explain how to set the drive as MASTER. Options are usually Master, Slave, Cable Select. The site has a diagram though remember that not all drives are the same so you will want to reference the label on the top of the drive for your configuration: http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/hdrive3.htm

I would also recommend that the drive is plugged into the first connector on the cable as a precaution.

* There is also two other things you can try before you open your case up. You can try the following two boot options:

-v -f This will load you up in Verbose Mode and also ignore the cache file of kexts (drivers) and instead load them individually.

-v -x This will load you up in both Verbose Mode and also in Safe Mode (Similar to Windows Safe Mode) It will only load the basics.

On PATA (EIDE) hard drives there are jumpers and a set of pins in the back where the ribbon cable and power cable plug in. You should find a chart on the drives label that will explain how to set the drive as MASTER. Options are usually Master, Slave, Cable Select. The site has a diagram though remember that not all drives are the same so you will want to reference the label on the top of the drive for your configuration: http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/hdrive3.htm

I would also recommend that the drive is plugged into the first connector on the cable as a precaution.

* There is also two other things you can try before you open your case up. You can try the following two boot options:

-v -f This will load you up in Verbose Mode and also ignore the cache file of kexts (drivers) and instead load them individually.

-v -x This will load you up in both Verbose Mode and also in Safe Mode (Similar to Windows Safe Mode) It will only load the basics.

This would be very helpful, except I'm using a SATA drive.

• 4 months later...