3 Possibly related problems

Kian Tern

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've tried installing osx86 on my PC for couple of times, but just for the kicks.

Now I'm determinant to make it work :D

First of all my PC:

MB: Asus P5N-T Deluxe

CPU: Core2Due 8400 @ 3Ghz

RAM: 4GB @ 800Mhz

GFX: BFG GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Sound: ESI Maya44 (Envy24)

3 Sata HDD

1 Sata DVDRW (Asus)

1 IDE DVDRW (Nec)

Right after the installation I had a problem with my On board NIC,

but I solved it using a driver I found somewhere here on the forums.

I've heard that the driver might cause kernel panic under heavy load.

Fortunately it seems to work fine with Transmission downloading 10 1GB+ torrents.

Now I have 3 problems that I suspect might be related.

1. When Time Machine starts to make the first backup after a while keyboard/mouse stop

responding. It seems that the backup continues to run but extremely slow (around 100MB per hour).

2. For some reason the system can't detect any PCI card inserted in the only PCI slot on the MB.

I've tried to replace the sound card with another NIC just to see if it will work, well it didn't.

I've booted with Ubuntu LiveCD and it detected the NIC and the soundcard.

3. When I'm inserting a CD or a Thumb drive the system won't detect it.

If I remove the thumb drive and try to plug it back in it's not working at all (no blinking light on the drive), I have to insert it into a working Windows/Linux machine to it make work.

Somewhat similiar thing happens with CD but in this case I just can't do eject until I reboot.

If I insert the CD/Thumb Drive before I boot the system detects it.

I've read something about changing the maxmem parameter, but I don't know where to do it.

Can it be the maxmem parameter causing all those troubles?

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I've tried installing osx86 on my PC for couple of times, but just for the kicks.

Now I'm determinant to make it work :wacko:

First of all my PC:

MB: Asus P5N-T Deluxe

CPU: Core2Due 8400 @ 3Ghz

RAM: 4GB @ 800Mhz

GFX: BFG GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Sound: ESI Maya44 (Envy24)

3 Sata HDD

1 Sata DVDRW (Asus)

1 IDE DVDRW (Nec)

Right after the installation I had a problem with my On board NIC,

but I solved it using a driver I found somewhere here on the forums.

I've heard that the driver might cause kernel panic under heavy load.

Fortunately it seems to work fine with Transmission downloading 10 1GB+ torrents.

Now I have 3 problems that I suspect might be related.

1. When Time Machine starts to make the first backup after a while keyboard/mouse stop

responding. It seems that the backup continues to run but extremely slow (around 100MB per hour).

2. For some reason the system can't detect any PCI card inserted in the only PCI slot on the MB.

I've tried to replace the sound card with another NIC just to see if it will work, well it didn't.

I've booted with Ubuntu LiveCD and it detected the NIC and the soundcard.

3. When I'm inserting a CD or a Thumb drive the system won't detect it.

If I remove the thumb drive and try to plug it back in it's not working at all (no blinking light on the drive), I have to insert it into a working Windows/Linux machine to it make work.

Somewhat similiar thing happens with CD but in this case I just can't do eject until I reboot.

If I insert the CD/Thumb Drive before I boot the system detects it.

I've read something about changing the maxmem parameter, but I don't know where to do it.

Can it be the maxmem parameter causing all those troubles?

Thanks.

Go to my Series 7 nForce chipset thread and start by checking out your BIOS settings using the template in post#1 which gives my recommended settings for OS X on a 780i MOBO.....re-post your system details there and I will help you in my thread..... :unsure: