Attempting to install iPC 10.5.6 on a P5N-D nvidia 750i with Geforce 8600 GT 256 mb

Nohimn

10 posts in this topic

I'd like some advice on this one. From what I can gather, it's completely possible to have an osx86 running on my set-up, but not many resources on getting 10.5.6 running on it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t134811.html

This guy has essentially the same set-up as i do, minus the network card which he added on, and he's on 10.5.5. Admittedly, the internal network chipset (nForce) refuses to work. From what I see when I run the boot in verbose mode, the nForce kext does start, and it reads the MAC addy, but when I actually try to connect, the OS does not read the network card. Tested with both the nForce kext provided by the iPC DVD and the nforce package installer. When I checked in back, the port had no lights on both times.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...100#entry927701

This guy has his Bios settings, which I haven't tested yet. It says on the first post of the thread that his mobo worked with Vanilla 9.6 (which I confirm, mine does as well. It is what is defaulted in iPC). But, once again, the info posted is on 10.5.5. I cannot find any equivalent resources on 10.5.6

Now as for my specific situation:

I am able to install with iPC with a Vanilla kernel and AppleNForceATA kext. That's all I can honestly say works: the thing boots, USB 2.0 support, and it reads from my SATA drive. Like I said previously, I seem to have no luck with nForce ethernet. Sound doesn't work with the ALC 883 driver. Though the mobo has an ALC 883 on it, it seems that one person (first link) used ALC 833. I think I'll test this, although it's not included with the iPC package. I also cannot get my GeForce 8600 GT working. I tried doing it directly from iPC, which outright didn't work. When I tried doing it using the nForce Drivers 1.2 package installer, I made it past the boot loader, and all I get is a blank screen and a mouse. I'd really like to get my vid card supported not necessarily for QE support, but because regardless of any kernel I use, moving windows seems to cause a graphical glitch without any set video driver on iPC.

Any help or ideas are encouraged, I'll keep posting any results I get from my own research and testing.

ethernet working. nForce driver does work, but somehow my ethernet was being powered down. I killed my computer's power and brought it back up, and I had my ethernet working again. Working on sound now...

on an unrelated note, I was toying around with my e-cigarette, and I've learned that using it in a manner that it shouldn't be used was perhaps a bad idea. I wound up with a mouth full of nicotine, I'm feeling kind of high, and I might throw up. If I wind up in the hospital, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways, I got the sound working.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry712422

Complete surround sound support. I realized my sound wasn't working on my onboard jacks, but was working on my chassis jacks. So since I rarely use the chassis jacks anyways (I usually plug my headphones into my speakers), I just disconnected the HDAudio cable from the mobo to the chassis, and now all sound comes from the back. I feel dizzy.

I'd like some advice on this one. From what I can gather, it's completely possible to have an osx86 running on my set-up, but not many resources on getting 10.5.6 running on it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t134811.html

This guy has essentially the same set-up as i do, minus the network card which he added on, and he's on 10.5.5. Admittedly, the internal network chipset (nForce) refuses to work. From what I see when I run the boot in verbose mode, the nForce kext does start, and it reads the MAC addy, but when I actually try to connect, the OS does not read the network card. Tested with both the nForce kext provided by the iPC DVD and the nforce package installer. When I checked in back, the port had no lights on both times.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...100#entry927701

This guy has his Bios settings, which I haven't tested yet. It says on the first post of the thread that his mobo worked with Vanilla 9.6 (which I confirm, mine does as well. It is what is defaulted in iPC). But, once again, the info posted is on 10.5.5. I cannot find any equivalent resources on 10.5.6

Now as for my specific situation:

I am able to install with iPC with a Vanilla kernel and AppleNForceATA kext. That's all I can honestly say works: the thing boots, USB 2.0 support, and it reads from my SATA drive. Like I said previously, I seem to have no luck with nForce ethernet. Sound doesn't work with the ALC 883 driver. Though the mobo has an ALC 883 on it, it seems that one person (first link) used ALC 833. I think I'll test this, although it's not included with the iPC package. I also cannot get my GeForce 8600 GT working. I tried doing it directly from iPC, which outright didn't work. When I tried doing it using the nForce Drivers 1.2 package installer, I made it past the boot loader, and all I get is a blank screen and a mouse. I'd really like to get my vid card supported not necessarily for QE support, but because regardless of any kernel I use, moving windows seems to cause a graphical glitch without any set video driver on iPC.

Any help or ideas are encouraged, I'll keep posting any results I get from my own research and testing.

Have you checked that you only have one injector.kext (NVinject, NVkush or NVdarwin) in/S/L/E/, or if using EFI strings no injector kext in /S/L/E/........also for on-the-fly resolution switching (if you do not have it already) try swapping your monitor connector to the other video port on your graphics card......

For setting up iPC see install guide in my blog.......and for other info. my Series 7 nForce thread......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Nohimn

Thanks you so much for starting this thread! I've been going crazy trying to install 10.5.6 on my P5N-D! The worst thing is that, the first time I tried, I manage to get a clean install that booted completely with no problems! I then proceeded attempting to get the 8800GT working, but in the process, the OSX froze and I had to force a power down and restart the machine. When I did this, the bios did a complete reset and I haven't been able to install a booting OSX on the machine ever since...

I reconfigured the whole bios to the best of my knowledge (and even used verdant's thread bios instructions), but I still can't get the OSX to boot. Would it be too much to ask for you to post your bios settings and the options you chose on the customization of the OSX install to get it working on your machine? I would be extremely grateful! I've tried everything I can find on the web and nothing seems to work...

For the sake of full disclosure, here is my full setup:

P5N-D with Q6600 @ stock

2 x BFG 8800GT sli (yes, I know sli doesn't work on osx, not looking to get the sli working)

2 x Barracuda SATA2 500Gb HDs (XP/OSX dual boot on separate HDs)

4 x 1Gb OCZ RAM

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W PSU

Anyway, thanks again for the thread and any help you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Much obliged!

Hi, Nohimn

Thanks you so much for starting this thread! I've been going crazy trying to install 10.5.6 on my P5N-D! The worst thing is that, the first time I tried, I manage to get a clean install that booted completely with no problems! I then proceeded attempting to get the 8800GT working, but in the process, the OSX froze and I had to force a power down and restart the machine. When I did this, the bios did a complete reset and I haven't been able to install a booting OSX on the machine ever since...

I reconfigured the whole bios to the best of my knowledge (and even used verdant's thread bios instructions), but I still can't get the OSX to boot. Would it be too much to ask for you to post your bios settings and the options you chose on the customization of the OSX install to get it working on your machine? I would be extremely grateful! I've tried everything I can find on the web and nothing seems to work...

For the sake of full disclosure, here is my full setup:

P5N-D with Q6600 @ stock

2 x BFG 8800GT sli (yes, I know sli doesn't work on osx, not looking to get the sli working)

2 x Barracuda SATA2 500Gb HDs (XP/OSX dual boot on separate HDs)

4 x 1Gb OCZ RAM

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W PSU

Anyway, thanks again for the thread and any help you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Much obliged!

Does your BIOS POST OK....? Can you still boot into Windows XP OK......?

You do not say what happens when you now attempt to boot from the install DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......?

Yeah, ive had the same problem. I had a fully working 10.5.5 with iDeneb's v1.3 however i cannot get this version to even start the CD. I have doen the usual commands (-v cpus=1......) still wont even start up the CD.

Asus P5N-D

2Gigs Corsair

IDE/SATA Drives

Yeah, ive had the same problem. I had a fully working 10.5.5 with iDeneb's v1.3 however i cannot get this version to even start the CD. I have doen the usual commands (-v cpus=1......) still wont even start up the CD.

Asus P5N-D

2Gigs Corsair

IDE/SATA Drives

If your DVDRW is IDE check that it has it jumper set to Master and that it is connected to the end connector of your 80 wire IDE cable.......if you have an IDE HDD then set its jumper to Slave...... see here or here......

• 1 year later...
Any other P5N-D folks out there ever get the IPC 10.5.6 disk to work and with what BIOS / Options during the install did you guys choose...Video cards aside, I'm getting problems after it installs, can't seem to get it to come back.

Can't say that I have, but I almost got the Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Revision 2 board to work.