iDeneb 1.4 install success!

jmk420

3 posts in this topic

First, I would like to thank the osx86 community for this invaluable resource! Thank you!

Second, to those just beginning on this journey, it really is true what they all say - you will spend many hours bashing your head against the wall, doing install after install until finally... it works! Maybe this will give someone else hope to carry on!

So, for the record, the following are my specs and steps I had to take to make this work. I tried Kalyway, but ultimately used iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) because I wanted the latest/greatest/easiest. Keep in mind, I'm completely new to the world of Apple, and I'm still not totally sure how this all works. But here goes:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Prescott

Intel D865PERL

2 x 1 GB PC3200

eVGA NVidia FX 6600 GT 128 MB AGP

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

3COM 3c905-tx

Seagate 120 GB SATA

- After countless attempts at installation, using different combinations of kernel, patches, kexts, etc, I could not get it to go. I would get either a blank screen after the bootloader, or a kernel panic. Then, I started playing with the boot options, and managed to boot OSX from disk after booting from the DVD!

rd=disk0s1 -v "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75"

- Except, what I didn't realize is that it was (I think) actually loading the kernel from the DVD, and then booting from my hard drive. Knowing that I had selected a 9.6.0 kernel, I tried:

# uname -r

- Besides nothing working (sound, net, QE/CI), this also caused a strange kernel message which Google had only 1 link to (with no resolution), relating to my network card (3c905-tx), something like: "MapHardwareRegisters failed." Just in case someone else Googles this.

- Ok, so these were the relevant options I chose during install: ACPI patch, ACPI PS/2 keyboard, SMC_ACPI fix, ICH fix, NVinject 128 MB, NOT AGPGART !, Sound Blaster, Voodoo 9.5.0

- In the BIOS, I turned off HyperThreading, set video to PCI (not AGP), and ACPI sleep to S1. The key seems to have been disabling HT, since that's when I could finally boot from disk (not with 9.6.0 vanilla, but second try with Voodoo 9.5.0) without a panic. At some point I tried "cpus=1", but it didn't seem to help.

I now have a fully functional OSX installation (sound, net, QE/CI), and I really dig it! I plan to buy a real Mac, but this is great!

In the meantime, I guess I'll need to figure out how to get AGP and HT working - any suggestions would be very welcomed. But you guys have certainly helped me enough as it is. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
First, I would like to thank the osx86 community for this invaluable resource! Thank you!

Second, to those just beginning on this journey, it really is true what they all say - you will spend many hours bashing your head against the wall, doing install after install until finally... it works! Maybe this will give someone else hope to carry on!

So, for the record, the following are my specs and steps I had to take to make this work. I tried Kalyway, but ultimately used iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) because I wanted the latest/greatest/easiest. Keep in mind, I'm completely new to the world of Apple, and I'm still not totally sure how this all works. But here goes:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Prescott

Intel D865PERL

2 x 1 GB PC3200

eVGA NVidia FX 6600 GT 128 MB AGP

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

3COM 3c905-tx

Seagate 120 GB SATA

- After countless attempts at installation, using different combinations of kernel, patches, kexts, etc, I could not get it to go. I would get either a blank screen after the bootloader, or a kernel panic. Then, I started playing with the boot options, and managed to boot OSX from disk after booting from the DVD!

rd=disk0s1 -v "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75"

- Except, what I didn't realize is that it was (I think) actually loading the kernel from the DVD, and then booting from my hard drive. Knowing that I had selected a 9.6.0 kernel, I tried:

# uname -r

- Besides nothing working (sound, net, QE/CI), this also caused a strange kernel message which Google had only 1 link to (with no resolution), relating to my network card (3c905-tx), something like: "MapHardwareRegisters failed." Just in case someone else Googles this.

- Ok, so these were the relevant options I chose during install: ACPI patch, ACPI PS/2 keyboard, SMC_ACPI fix, ICH fix, NVinject 128 MB, NOT AGPGART !, Sound Blaster, Voodoo 9.5.0

- In the BIOS, I turned off HyperThreading, set video to PCI (not AGP), and ACPI sleep to S1. The key seems to have been disabling HT, since that's when I could finally boot from disk (not with 9.6.0 vanilla, but second try with Voodoo 9.5.0) without a panic. At some point I tried "cpus=1", but it didn't seem to help.

I now have a fully functional OSX installation (sound, net, QE/CI), and I really dig it! I plan to buy a real Mac, but this is great!

In the meantime, I guess I'll need to figure out how to get AGP and HT working - any suggestions would be very welcomed. But you guys have certainly helped me enough as it is. Thanks again!

You are my hero :D

Thanks for the pointer in my other thread. It looks like it was a combination of disabling hyperthreading, selecting the Voodoo kernel, and making sure I selected the ICHx chipset driver.

It's now booting from the hard drive, I've got networking and on-board audio. That's a great start. Now I just need to get my video resolutions straightened out and get it dual booting with windows.

Thanks again!

(references for anyone who finds this thread later:

My config

Asus P4P800SE

Intel 865PE / ICH5

Pentium Core Solo 3.2GHz

ATI Radeon 7000

Netgear GA311 NA gigabit ethernet

Maxtor 40GB IDE disk

And some other stuff I haven't got working yet)

• 5 months later...