Change Kernal after install?

miker

2 posts in this topic

I've installed OSX on my Asus P5K and have it running great with no problems except for the lan not working after coming out of sleep mode. To get it working a reboot is necessary. I've done some searching and see that a vanilla kernal should have been selected at 1st install. Is it possible to change to a vanilla kernal at this stage?

I've installed OSX on my Asus P5K and have it running great with no problems except for the lan not working after coming out of sleep mode. To get it working a reboot is necessary. I've done some searching and see that a vanilla kernel should have been selected at 1st install. Is it possible to change to a vanilla kernal at this stage?

You can change kernels pretty easy after install. Its called mach_kernel and its in the root directory. One thing to keep in mind is that you must have the proper System.kext & Seatbelt.kext for the kernel version you are using. You will want to line those up prior to changing kernels.

1. Find out which kernel, system.kext & seatbelt.kext you have.

1. Kernel: Open Terminal and type the following (you are looking for "Darwin Kernel Version 9.
X.X
")

uname -a

2. System.kext: Open finder to /System/Library/Extensions and right click system.kext and select more info to see the version. Your Kernel and System.kext should always match. Non-matching versions will cause KPs and problems with USB devices.

3. Seatbelt.kext: View this post

2. Install Kernel

1. Place the new kernel on your desktop.

2. Give yourself root privileges so that you can modify files.

sudo -s

3. Make a backup copy of your existing kernel and name it mach_kernel.backup

cp -R /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.backup

4. Copy the new kernel from your desktop to the root directory

cp -R ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

5. Correct ownership for all kernels

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

6. Correct permissions for all kernels

chmod 644 /mach_kernel*

Reboot & if you have problems you can use the boot-option -v mach_kernel.backup to boot your older kernel