How to: installing OSx86 on HP Pavilion dv9520eb

superpimp

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I've had a lot of trouble installing OSx86 on my laptop and kept saying that if I got it to work I would post a tutorial and maybe help out others with similar laptops/hardware.

I did 4 full HDD formats (I had windows 7 running as a test but switched to vista for compatibility) and about 15 OSx86 installs till I got it to work completely. My point: don't give up.

I knew nothing about mac and OS X (still know very little) when I started and I actually thought I just had to put in an OSx86 DVD (I used iATKOS 10.5.5 but this is more like a general tut) and install and that was it. Tough luck.

I had a lot of trouble with the 8600M GS, the Voodoo kernel was messing it up. Later on I discovered that it worked perfect under a Vanilla install.

The WiFi is not working since I have the Intel 4965AGN WiFi card.

Let's get started.

Requirements:

* OSx86 DVD

* Ultimate Boot CD

* EasyBCD 2.0

My configuration

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00 GHz

2x 150GB HDD (Fujitsu)

nVidia 8600M GS

Intel 4965AGN WiFi

Realtek HD Audio: ALC268

Step 1

Create a new partition (I used 45GB because i'm planning on using this intensively and install quite a lot.) of at least 10GB.

Vista users: right click computer > manage > disk management > shrink partition

Others: use gparted.

Then do a quick format of NTFS (else OSx86 won't recognize the partition and you won't be able to select it)

Step 2

Burn your OSx86 DVD.

* iATKOS: not a lot of features but installs very quickly (full install under 30min) and is very useful when you're starting

* iPC: has a lot of features and hardware tweaks so you can make your machine run perfectly after install without tweaking but is huge (requires DL DVD) and install takes ages. This is good for when you know which drivers to select and don't want to do any tweaking.

Step 3

Boot the DVD.

Do -v if it's not booting and post error.

Choosing partition: utilities > disk utility

Select your partition and erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Close disk utility and continue.

Select your drive.

When you can click install click customize first (bottom left).

Picture

This is the crucial part that makes your install work or fail.

INTEL CORE DUO USERS: DO NOT SELECT A KERNEL, THIS WILL MESS UP YOUR OTHER HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY

DO NOT SELECT 2 DRIVERS OF THE SAME SORT.

=> for example: not natit AND nvkush, it won't work, because they will interfere. ONE SATA driver etc...

I selected the following:

ACPI: x86 ACPI

Drivers: nVidia: nvkush 265mb and Graphics update

System:

* SATA/IDE: Intel AHCI SATA

* NTFS 3G

No network drivers (they won't work)

Customize options picture

Now click install and reboot.

Step 4

When install finishes take out the OSx86 DVD and boot. Now mac should start normally.

If this isn't the case and you get for example the boot0 error, boot the Ultimate Boot CD => Filesystem tools > Gag > install Gag > select keyboard > options > add OS > Windows NT > Go back and boot it. Now windows should be booting.

If Mac boots and you see welcome flying at you in a dozen different languages you're lucky, this means QE/CI is enabled and your graphics card is working perfectly!

Enabling Dual boot:

Boot the Ultimate Boot CD => Filesystem tools > Gag > install Gag > select keyboard > options > add OS > Windows NT > Go back and boot it. Now windows should be booting.

When windows has booted run EasyBCD 2.0 and add entry > Mac OS, standard settings are fine.

Now you will be able to choose what you want when your pc starts.

Step 5

Fixes:

I only needed the ALC268 fix, use this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...5&hl=alc268

For the experimental ones, you can mess around with the WiFi driver of iwidarwin

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

Update to 10.5.6

If you didn't select a kernel (thus did a vanilla install) you can just update from the apple site without worries.

When install has finished and reboots, the booting takes a while and stops all of a sudden, then reboots and boots up perfectly.

I've installed it and have had ZERO problems!

Useful tools

http://######.com/index.php?option=...3&Itemid=45

Here you can find tons of handy tools.

Hope you can use it.

Thanks to insanelymac.com