How to install Linksys WMP300N REV 1 on Leopard 10.5.6

b18onboost

5 posts in this topic

Update: 4/7/2009 If you're having internet problem such as slow browsing, put your router into B mode and choose auto select channel. I'm not sure if it's a router issue or a card issue but my Linksys is very glitchy when browsing internet and the only way to fix it is to put my router in B mode. Also use WPA AES instead of TKIP. I was getting the message "Network has been compromised" with the TKIP settings.

This instruction was written by a NOOB and it is for Linksys WMP300N REV 1 (Rev 1 is for U.S) on Leopard 10.5.6. Note that I wrote this instruction using IPC 10.5.6 install so it might not work with other releases. I rebranded my WMP300N out of frustration so I wasn't able to test the instruction on a stock WMP300N. Although I am confident that this instruction would work without the rebranding because during my 3 days of fiddling around, I was able to get the card to work before rebranding although it was a little glitchy. It might also have been because the pci slot in my mobo was crapping out.

So word of advice, if you're not comfortable rebranding your wireless card then don't do it. And if this instruction doesn't work, then you know what you have to do (rebrand it baby!!). There are some advantage of rebranding your card, to summarize, it will allow you to take advantage of the 802.11N speed and also this card will show up as Airport Extreme in your System Info. I took the rebranding instruction from WhiteMonster and revised it a bit. Think of this instruction for newbie. Please feel free to correct me if I make any mistake. If this instruction work for you, make sure to thank the economy for it as I am unemployed so I have a lot of time on my hands.

Quick Note: I am a noob so please don't get mad if this doesn't work for you or if some of the information in here is incorrect. Also please excuse my grammar!!

Rebranding WMP300N (Skip this step if you are not interested).

Note: This procedure requires that the machine you are using have a working Internet connection to download some of the bits. This means you need to have another _functioning_ network card in the machine you are using besides the WMP300N. You can use a Linksys WUSB54G Rev 4 or a LAN card. The Linksys WUSB54G was detected automatically without a problem.

Procedure:

1) Install Ubuntu - I used Ubuntu 8.10 desktop i386 (about 700mb download) http://www.ubuntu.com/testing. You can also search on torrent or newsgroup.

1a. Make sure that when you burn the ISO, burn it at a slow speed or else it will not read. Also use a good media. On my first install, I had some read error at 57% due to a bad disc.

1b. As for partitioning the drive, you can use the Guided partition. If you have a spare hdd laying around, install Ubuntu on it or you can install it over your Mac OSX and then reinstall your MacOSX again.

Useful tips: Since I am a noob, I recommend that you copy and paste all the commands into terminal instead of typing it out. It is a good idea to have an internet connection on the machine so you can just copy the command from this post and paste it in as oppose to typing it out. Typing in a wrong command or skipping a command might brick your card.

2) Install prerequisites - In a terminal window (Terminal window can be opened by going to Application menu and look under Accessories, then click on Terminal) execute the following commands (you can skip remark likes which start with #):

# Install packages that are required.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get install curl

sudo apt-get install git-core

# Install b43 driver and firmware

# The next command will ask if you'd like to fetch and extract firmware - say YES

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

sudo modprobe b43

# Get, compile, and install the latest ssb-sprom tool

git clone http://git.bu3sch.de/git/b43-tools.git

cd b43-tools/ssb_sprom

make

sudo cp ssb-sprom /usr/sbin/

sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/ssb-sprom

sudo chown root:root /usr/sbin/ssb-sprom

3) Update the sprom - Open up a terminal window and execute the following commands (you can skip remark likes which start with #):

# Set an environment variable for your sprom

SSB_SPROM=$(find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom)

# Check the value of the variable

# If this returns more than 1 instance of "/sys/..." then

# refer to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#relatedtools

# for additional steps. Otherwise you can can continue with this process

echo $SSB_SPROM

# Get a copy of your sprom into your home directory to work with

cd ~

sudo cat $SSB_SPROM > ssb_sprom_copy

# Examine the contents of the sprom. Note that some of this information is incorrect,

# but the vendor and product ID are what we care about, and they are correct

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P

#You should see something like this after typing that previous command. If you don't but don't see any errors you might continue. I am writing this from memory so I'm not sure if the previous command will bring up a bunch of texts that will display what you're looking for.

#SPROM(0x04, Subsystem product ID) = 0x0087 <----Very importante that you see this

#SPROM(0x06, Subsystem vendor ID) = 0x106B <----Very importante that you see this

#SPROM(0x08, PCI Product ID) = 0x4329

# The next command will update the vendor and product IDs and create a new sprom file

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x0087 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy

# Examine the contents of the new sprom file. Verify the vendor and product IDs.

# I have attached a copy of my sprom below as an example

ssb-sprom -i new_ssb_sprom_copy -P

# Ensure that this variable still has the path to your sprom

echo $SSB_SPROM

# write the new sprom to your card

sudo cp new_ssb_sprom_copy $SSB_SPROM

Installing your WMP300N card

Tools:

Fresh copy of OSX 10.5.6 install without any wireless network drivers installed or wireless patch (I used IPC 10.5.6)

OSX86 Tool

Kext helper

Instruction:

1.Install OSX 10.5.6 without any network drivers installed or patch. If you have already installed OSX and have network drivers installed, you can try but I don't know if it will work.

2. Download the modified IO80211Family.kext.zip attached below. This kext is a factory kext from IPC 10.5.6 with the added pci string "<string>pci14e4,4329</string>" to be compatible with the Linksys card Rev1.

3.Unzip the file and drag the kext into Kext Helper and install it. Make sure to put in a password if you have one.

3A. Not sure if this matter but I also delete the file Extensions.mkext in the \System\Library\ folder

4. Fire up OSX86 tool, put a check-mark into the box Clear Extensions Cache, Repaid Permission and click on Run Selected Task.

5. DELETED

6. After all steps are completed, reboot your computer. During Darwin boot screen, hit F8 on your keyboard and type in -f and hit enter to reload all the kext. You will only need to do the -f during boot one time.

8. Now if you did everything correctly, Airport should be listed. Note that everytime you update the airport utility or airport client, you must redo the following instructions over again including the -f during boot or else your wireless card will not be detected.

Update: It seems that Airport client Update 2009-001 is not compatible for the kext I have attached here. Why? I have no idea. Every time I update it, the wireless card would disappear and when I repair the wireless card, the update would appear again in Software update.

Problem:

1. Airport not shown even after following all the steps.

Answer: Try switching PCI port. I have an Asus P5GC and the lower pci port doesn't seem to work or work on and off.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, if it's a broadcom card, you can save lots of time and most of the words with Sbsrom running on win32 machine. Try searching for it.

I think got the site but it's in chinese. I think the SBSROM is a command line tool to change various parameter in the firmware.

http://benyouhui.it168.com/viewthread.php?...&tid=625602

Anyone can read chinese? Goggle translation is horrible.

thanks...

avaya

• 2 months later...

Nice tutorial b18onboost. I have the same card and it works, but not at N speeds. I occasionally boot into windows so I'm concerned if rebranding will affect the windows drivers. Does anyone know how windows would react?