ATI HD2600XT AGP in a Power Mac G5 on 10.5.6?

1 post in this topic

I bought an old defunct G5 PowerMac7,3 and repaired it so it now runs Leopard 10.5.6. It is meant as a TV and Video Server for my home. The system has two 2.0 GHz PPC790FX processors and 4 GB of RAM. I run EyeTV 3.1.1 (Build 4907) with a FireDTV-S2 for Satellite TV. I have put plenty of hard disk in with a WD Green 2 TB and I can add another one if I want.

Currently I am crippled by my ATI Radeon 9600 XT (128 MB DDR RAM, 8xAGP). I cannot run my Samsung 46" local dimming LED TV with 1080p because it will not support 1920x1080@32bit color. I have to run it at 1360x768 which looks like a piece of the brown stuff. I will have a BIOS patched Radeon 9800 XT in some days which will fix that issue.

I also noted that HD video goes very slow and jumpy with the 9600 and I suspect that will not change with the 9800 due to lack of native HD support. I also noted that the OSx86 community gets HD2600XT cards to work with OS X. My question is concerning the availibility of firmware patches to PC BIOS HD2600XT cards for use in G5 Open Firmware systems. I was unable to find anything on this topic by the search function. Please forgive if I just used the search incorrectly.

I would also settle for an X1950 pro with AGP which I found in the compatibility list of the OSx86 Wiki.

So any help toward that issue or direction where to look for information is highly appreciated.