Building a desktop hackintosh - feedback appreciated!

4 posts in this topic

OK, so I have followed this thread closely, so I do feel the hardware below should be Hackintosh safe.

Both setups are maybe a bit overkill for my needs, but I have the money and I am a tech-geek so... I'm think about going for the i7-setup.

Quad-setup:

Antec NSK4480

Asus EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M

Corsair TWIN2X DDR2-800 4096MB KIT (2x2048)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400

Samsung SH-S223Q SATA DVD

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB SATA

i7-setup:

Antec Sonata III

Asus EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M

Cooler Master V8 507,-

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Intel Core i7 920

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 6 GB (3 x 2 GB)

Samsung SH-S223Q SATA DVD

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB SATA

A couple questions (apart from comments on the above):

1. The disk is thrown in by random here. I'm gonna check a little more, but:

I'm gonna dual boot Leopard + Ubuntu. Would the best to have two separate disks + maybe one common data storage?

2. I have read about some network troubles with the on board LAN. Is a separate network controller recommended?

All feedback appreciated! Thanks! (this is a great forum).

Erik

hey erik-

just built a hackintosh on q9400 and it is totally solid and compatible. ***note***I built it on vanilla kernel retail boot 132. samsung spinpoint f1 was my original hard drive so I'd also back that, but if you can get one like I couldn't then I submit to you a heavy buy reco for a seagate barracuda 7200.11 It is silent. re: the sata optical drive you have chosen. I also choose a samsung writemaster...it's quiet for read and write, playing dvds however, kinda loud.

my build put a reco to not use the native wi-fi hardware, and I don't really plan on using it anyway. If I do, I'll just buy a internal wi-fi card, no biggie. my onboard LAN is 100%

core-i7 is the latest, sure...I went with core2quad because the hack build I used is well documented, once in insanelymac and once in osx86 wiki, with files links and instructions written down, step-by-step. that's really the only thing I can think of that you'ld want to seriously consider if a hackintosh is what you're after, esp. RE: onboard LAN. hardware is king but you can't build a hackintosh on hardware alone, it's the software that makes a hackintosh a hackintosh after all.

P.S. asus 9600gt fanless is a compatible choice for gpu, the 9600GT is what they put in the mac pros. I only add this tidbit because if I had known this prior to buying the vidcard I had bought I would've gotten IT instead, just sharing the knowledge. :)

I would go for the I7 if you have the money and Pick HD4850 Instead as a grafic card

Thanks.

Yes, I have the money - the reason I considered the quad-setup was the many streamlined guides for those here.

But I guess - if I can get a stable Ubuntu boot on one disk, I can live with having to do some work getting OSX up and running on a second one.

I will have a look at the HD4850 (and some other hardware) before I order, but I'm no gamer - and I have had great experience with Nvidia cards on Linux.