Is there a way to make Darwin automatically select a partition?

Ego Tripper

3 posts in this topic

I've seen this topic discussed here a number of times, but it mostly concerns dual booting and multiple bootloaders-- I don't want any of that.

First, I followed the instructions here to edit the kernel flags in the boot.plist. It seems pretty straightforward, and it was exceedingly simple to do in OSX86 Tools. After modifying my plist, I used EFIStudio to put a copy of the new plist onto my EFI boot partition. All this seemed to do was break my shutdown.

So, using OSX86 Tools again, I removed the kernel strings and cleared the caches. This alone did not fix my shutdown issue, but when I reinstalled the EFI partition with the flag-less plist (using EFIStudio), and then cleared the EFI partition's cache, my computer now shuts down properly.

A number of people seem to have had success with the kernel flags method, leading me to believe I did something wrong. Should the flagged plist only appear on the EFI partition and not on my OS X partition? Also, I've heard some talk in the dual boot threads about this method being picky about which disk is active. I would try setting my OS X partition active, but seeing as how setting the EFI partition as active was a part of Munky's process, I would assume this would break my EFI booting.

Does anybody know where I went wrong? :(

P.S.: I know I was specifying the proper partition in the kernel flag, so nothing that obvious! :thumbsup_anim:

Try setting it active, but burn your self a copy of PartedMagic or GParted if it doesnt work

Try setting it active, but burn your self a copy of PartedMagic or GParted if it doesnt work

I added the kernel flags into a boot.plist and copied that over to my EFI partition & cleared the caches with EFIStudio. Then I set the partition with the OS (disk0s2) as active. That didn't work (it just re-broke my shutdown), so I added the same kernel flags to the OS partition's plist and cleared that disk's caches with OSX86 Tools. That didn't work either, so I decided to make sure the disc was active by running fdisk on it again. I've restarted several times since then and each time I have been asked to pick a partition during the boot process.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?