SOLVED: Problems with Kalyway 10.5.2 installation on MSI 945GCM478-L mobo

Cacao

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I tried to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on MSI 945GCM478-L mobo but no success.

Mentioned motherboard is extremely chip and othen used as best upgrade for old 478 socket systems.

Used boot parameters:

sleepkernel cpus=1 -v

modbinkernel tested also, no success.

Installation procedure stops on following strings:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID <bla-bla-bla>

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMach</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Installation DVD was patched with recommended IOATAFamily.kext (for ICH7 SATA2 controller - NO AHCI).

System description:

CPU Intel P4 2.8E HT (Prescott Socket 478)

Intel 945GC + ICH7 (82801GB - so no RAID, no AHCI mode)

Intel 950 video (Internal)/external PCI-E Gigabyte NVidia 7600GT 256 Mb

LAN Realtek 8101 chip (10/100 Mbit) onboard

Audio Realtek ALC888 onboard

SATA HDD 80 Gb Seagate 7200.7 (ST380013A) on SATA1

SATA DVD RW drive on SATA2

How to get successful installalation on this hardware ?

Which distro should be used instead of Kalyway ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey ppl, good news - one ugly Saturday and problem with 945GCM478-L is gone. :)

Required steps for getting Leopard on "yet another fscking mobo":

Tested config - see above.

1) First step - flashing newest BIOS available.

Beta BIOS 1.1B4 dated 07/10/08, grab it from here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9hwq5g

Live BIOS update shows only initial version 1.0, so use beta - it is better than nothing.

Settings - Disable floppy, serial and LPT ports.

2) Boot from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with "cpus=1 -v"

3) Install settings

Start DiskUtility and prepare MacOS X partition - HFS+, Journaled, 30Gb enough for typical installation.

Kernals: sleepkernel or modbinkernel (vanilla is not suitable for this hardware)

Chipset: AppleOnBoardATA, AppleGenericATA (support for ICH7 PATA and SATA)

Old ACPI/APIC from 10.4.8: AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext (IMPORTANT !, otherwise system boot stops on "..buffers used.." on first reboot)

Sound: AppleAzalia kext

Ethernet: Realtek R1000 and 8169 kexts for onboard PHY

Video: none - you can install it later, after all updates to 10.5.6

4) Start and finish usual Kalyway install process, reboot.

5) After reboot system should start just fine. If system hangs - please check install settings and install again. Or boot from Kalyway DVD and fix AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext in Terminal - just copy them from Kalyway DVD:

rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions

exit

6) Update with Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate as usual, no surpises - use "sleepkernel cpus=1 update -v" on first reboot.

7) Install updates 10.5.4, 10.5.5 (IMPORTANT - take care about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext issue) and 10.5.6.

8) Optional - Install video kexts, enable CI/QE/QE GL.

That's it.

• 11 months later...

Hi.

I got the same board. I made everything you said in this how to. But I can't even start from DVD. Everytime i wanna start i get the buffer error, or my computer restarts.

Installation DVD was patched with recommended IOATAFamily.kext (for ICH7 SATA2 controller - NO AHCI).

How did you do that ? Is this a version I can download or is it easy to patch the DVD. And where can I find this kext ?

I hope somebody can help me

• 2 months later...
Hi.

I got the same board. I made everything you said in this how to. But I can't even start from DVD. Everytime i wanna start i get the buffer error, or my computer restarts.

How did you do that ? Is this a version I can download or is it easy to patch the DVD. And where can I find this kext ?

I hope somebody can help me

I tried a lot of Hackintosh versions and found Leo4All v4.1 worked for me (10.5.4)

on this board with a Pentium 4 2.8GHz FSB 800, 2GB Ram (667) and PATA and SATA HDD, PATA DVD

1) Update BIOS to official 1.1

2) Set IOAPIC on, HPET on, Hyperthreading on, internal GFX, floppy-serial-parallel off

3) boot from Leo4all, press F8 and use kernel flags CPUS=1 -v

4) when installer loads, use disk utility to partition PATA disk using MBR - I could not get GUID to work/boot previously

5) Format partitions as HFS+ journalled etc

6) Select options from "customize"

7) no drivers/kexts needed at this point, selecting the GMA on the DVD prevents EDID from working and your monitor/resolution will not be recognized - you will fix it below.

8) must use non-EFI bootloader and kernel 9.2

9) install and reboot - don't forget CPUS=1

Now you can update the kernel to 9.4 ToH or similar (must be SSE2) and fix the CPUS=1 with osx86tools.

Make sure to set correct video resolution before installing a new GMA950 kext, I got mine from paul's wind driver pack (google it).

Your hardware ID=2772.

Restart - you should now have video with QE/CI, sound and LAN working. SATA disk is recognized, USB works perfectly and have never had a kernel panic.

Note however that stock updates will freeze the system. I'm looking for another way to upgrade to 10.5.8.

Good Luck!!!