Grey screen and dark grey Apple

futurity

4 posts in this topic

Hi OSx86 user,

I was wondering if someone could help me? ;)

I've successfully installed OSx86 10.4 a few times before, but thought I'd give iDeneb 10.5.6 a try.

I'm using iDeneb, using just the default customize setting (iDeneb base) but regardless of the hardware I try and install it on, although it installs without any problems at all, on first boot I just get a grey screen and dark grey Apple. I don't get any other icons on the screen.

I've tried booting with "-v" option and although i start to get some text, that disappears when the dark grey apple appears.

Is there anything else I can do to try and debug what is goign wrong?

Is it a case that unless you get the exact right combination of drivers that it will always hang in this way.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Neil

Hi,

I've managed to get slightly further and because I have a Pentium 4 Prescott CPU I've used the Voodoo 9.5 kernel. This time I get a grey screen and dark grey Apple, but now I get a progress spinning thing at the bottom.

However after a while I get a no entry logo appear just above the Apple.

Anyone know if this is due to a bad kernel, or that I've got a good kernel but a bad driver?

Neil

If you can get the -v to give you some output, then you might have something you can ask more specifically for help. It might even give you an idea of what to search for. Try that and see if you can see what is happening when the kernel panic happens and hopefully someone smarter than us can help you.