GUID Partition Table with existing NTFS partition

Dead Eye

2 posts in this topic

Hey all,

First, I have installed OSX 10.5.4 and updated to 10.5.6 on another hard drive for testing purposes. Now I want to move that over to my Western Digital 400 GB so that I can have all my data on one hard disk instead of trying to mess with moving the Home Folder.

I have gotten to the point of resizing my NTFS partition (with data) down to 200 GB, this partition was subordinated under the new unformated portion. And I used the Mac Disk Utility to reformat the other unused partition into Mac OS Journaled. I rebooted, and two volumes showed. My new OSX Journaled (with yellow alert symbol) and my old WD 400 NTFS with data (with red stop signal).

When I click to select the new OSX Journaled partition it says I have to "format the volume using the GUID Partition Table" in order to use this volume to install OSX.

Unfortunatley I do not have anywhere to backup 200 GB and dont really have the funds to get a new hard drive. If I click the OSX Journaled volume and tell it to format the volume to use the GUID Partition Table, will I lose the data from my other NTFS partition?

Asus P5q with modified BIOS 1611

Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz

2GB Muskin DDR2 800

Western Digital 400 GB

BGF GeForce 7800 GTX OC

RealTek ALC1200 Audio

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

ps. My Q6600 isnt recognized correctly in system info, is there a kext for that? It says I am running at 3.8 GHz. THANKS!

Yes, you will lose everything if you do that.

I don't know of any other solution but to backup everything and then format as GUID. Disk Utility will not create NTFS partitions but you can easily convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS later if you want to - it will still work.

I have this setup myself - one NTFS formatted drive with Vista on it, and another 'hybrid' GUID partitioned HFS+J/NTFS drive.

The NTFS partition is for data only (converted from FAT32 to NTFS from Windows XP Pro), accessible by both OS's, and the HFS+J partition at the beginning of the drive holds my OSX86 installation.

If you're really desperate you could buy a used 200GB drive, do your thing, and then sell the drive again.

I don't know if there is a way to modify your HFS partition so as to make it a usable install target.