Blue Screen Unless Booting with -v

kasperbs

3 posts in this topic

Ok I have successfully installed retail MAC OSX 10.5.6, but I have some strange problems when booting. Unless I use the -v flag I get a light blue screen when booting and nothing more. I know the system is starting because I can hear the little 'blop' sound when Skype logs in. But I just have the blue screen, I don't know what causes it but I (think) it started after I installed my video drivers.

My system is:

• P5Q SE/R
  • Intel Quad Core Q8300
  • 4x1GB DDR2 667 RAM
  • 3 SATA Hard Drives
  • 1 SATA DVD drive
  • Nvidia 9800GT 512MB

My video drivers seems to have been installed succeully with the only thing not supported being 'mirror' whatever that means.

One thing I should note is that the problem is replicated whenever I try to change the resolution. Changing the resolution gives me the same blue screen requiring me to reset the machine and boot with the the -v flag.

So do you know what is causing this, and what are the downsides of booting with the -v flag?

I'll bet it also happens if you click 'detect displays'.

Plug your monitor into the other plug.

'Mirror' means a dual monitor setup with the same thing showing on both monitors, like 'clone mode' in Windows. Useful for presentations.

It makes no sense that it only works when booting with -v.

All -v is supposed to do is to show you what happens during the boot process, -v is for "verbose".

There's no downside to booting with -v other than it looks kind of nerdy.

If changing the plug doesn't help, you can put -v in your com.apple.boot.plist and it will boot like that all the time.

You can use EFI studio or OSX86Tools to edit the boot.plist. Google..

I'll bet it also happens if you click 'detect displays'.

Plug your monitor into the other plug.

'Mirror' means a dual monitor setup with the same thing showing on both monitors, like 'clone mode' in Windows. Useful for presentations.

It makes no sense that it only works when booting with -v.

All -v is supposed to do is to show you what happens during the boot process, -v is for "verbose".

There's no downside to booting with -v other than it looks kind of nerdy.

If changing the plug doesn't help, you can put -v in your com.apple.boot.plist and it will boot like that all the time.

You can use EFI studio or OSX86Tools to edit the boot.plist. Google..

Thanks, OSX86Tools was a big help. All i Needed to do was to add the correct resolution to the boot.plist file and there were no more problems.