9800GTX with 10.5.6

SONET

4 posts in this topic

Everything I can find about the 9800GTX is for 10.5.5 or older. I had it working under 10.5.5 but the same methods don't work for 10.5.6 (system won't boot). How can I get it to work with 10.5.6?

I'm using a fresh install of iPC 10.5.6 with no video stuff installed and I have an EVGA 9800GTX (the drivers in the iPC install caused problems). Everything else seems to be working fine aside from the video card.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi,

I had a hell of a time making this work too ..

I've currently got it working with QE + CI (Hardware).

The only odd thing I've got is that my menus aren't translucent .. just solid white .. but I can live with that for now.

This is how I did it:

I installed iPC 10.5.6, which came with OSx86Tools -- if you don't have that, I recommend grabbing it.

First, make sure you don't have any injectors (NVinject, Natit) -- you can use OSx86Tools to do this if you wish, just click on the "Download and Install Hardware Drivers", then "Remove Injectors".

Next, install the 9f23 drivers from NVInstaller.com. Yes -- these are 10.5.5 drivers -- but they're working for me on 10.5.6.

Finally, in OSx86Tools, Click on the "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag", then click on GFX Strings. Scroll to the bottom and pick 9800 GTX. Click "Import String to Boot Editor", then in the boot editor, click "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist".

Reboot, and you should be good.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old post, but this worked for me- the first time. then i ran into com.apple.boot.plist errors in OSx86 Tools.

when i try to save changes to com.apple.boot.plist in the boot editor i get an error saying that com.apple.boot.plist is not available.

is it possible for me to install an older card and update it to my 9800GTX?