Dual Core Atom 330 -- Only 1 Processor/2 Cores

atrac

4 posts in this topic

I have been running my system for a few days now which has an Atom Dual Core 330 processor in it (Jetway NC91 mb). I had used iPC with the Voodoo Kernel, and System Profiler always showed that I had 2 Processors with 3 cores. This was no big deal since Activity Monitor showed all "4" processors (2 actual, 2 hyper-threaded). I was getting video artifacts from my gma950 though and decided to follow a tutorial on this site that involved using a pre-existing patched dsdt.aml file. I d/l'ed it and after I rebooted, the artifacts were gone. Success!... or so I thought.

I then decided to move all of the data on my hard drive to an external USB drive and boot from that from now on, so I used carbon copy cloner. I then booted off of the drive (which didn't work), so I first booted with a Boot-132 disc, then was able to access the copied drive/OSX from it. I reinstalled a bootloader (Netkas PCEFI9 and Chameleon 1.0.12) and then everything seemed fine again.

Now in system profiler I get this:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Atom CPU 330 @

Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: W1234567890

L2 Cache: 512 KB

When I check System Monitor I now only show two processes. Even worse, when I used Real Player to view a flash video, I got a Kernel Panic related to the processor.

SO, is there an obvious mistake I made during my process? Is there an easy way to fix this? I ran the DSDT Patcher GUI to see if I would get any different results (vs. using the existing dsdt.aml I downloaded from here), and unfortunately I'm still stuck in the same place. I also don't know if I "lost" the other core before or after I used the generic dsdt.aml (I'm guessing this caused it?).

I'd love to be able to get my other cores/processors back, but don't know what else to try.

I'm not being as specific as I should be, so please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Thanks!

Catch 22.

If you run a DSDT Patcher program with your previously patched DSDT already loaded into memory...the patcher is patching the already patched DSDT.

You need to boot your system without DSDT.aml at the root and then run the patcher again. You'll lose your GMA950 fix.

Or you can patch your DSDT under Windows using a BIOS file and Koalala's ACPI Patcher:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

You can use it on any computer running Windows, you just need the BIOS from the PC you'll be using it on. And it must be an AMI or AWARD BIOS.

AFAIK the ACPI patcher can fix your GMA950 as well.

Catch 22.

If you run a DSDT Patcher program with your previously patched DSDT already loaded into memory...the patcher is patching the already patched DSDT.

You need to boot your system without DSDT.aml at the root and then run the patcher again. You'll lose your GMA950 fix.

Or you can patch your DSDT under Windows using a BIOS file and Koalala's ACPI Patcher:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

You can use it on any computer running Windows, you just need the BIOS from the PC you'll be using it on. And it must be an AMI or AWARD BIOS.

AFAIK the ACPI patcher can fix your GMA950 as well.

Thanks for the tips! The problem was definitely related to the dsdt.aml file I was using. Unfortunately, nothing I could do would fix it. I tried removing it, rebooting without it, running the DSDT GUI...I could not boot without first using a BOOT-132 disc every time. I even tried reinstalling the bootloader. This plus that for at least three hours.

Then on my internal Windows hard drive I tried the ACPI Patcher program with my current AMI BIOS downloaded from Jetway and the program continuously chocked, sputtered, and crashed on it. My favorite part is when it declared it was not even an AMI BIOS (which it 100% is). I think I'll wait on that one until it's ready for Prime Time.

At any rate, I whipped out my iPC disc and started completely from scratch. I now get this in System Profiler:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

Serial Number: W1234567890

...and 4 processors show up in Activity Monitor. So that part is better than ever.

Unfortunately, I am back to gma950 artifacts. Quite honestly, this whole ordeal took about 6 hours out of my day. I'm not confident trying anything else and will stick with artifacts for now.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to try again, there will be a 100% easy fix for it. But for now, it's a lot of chefs spoiling the pot from what I can see. :)

or now, it's a lot of chefs spoiling the pot from what I can see.

hah, yes that sums up the whole scene pretty well. And we have to fish around in that pot for the bits of food that fits on each our plates..

I guess about the GMA950 fix you were referring to this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340

(I'm adding it mainly for reference in case someone stumbles upon the thread)

I guess it would be possible to lift the GMA950 fix that worked for you out of there and insert it in your own DSDT.aml.

Probably not easy but certainly possible.

How?

Since koalala's ACPIPatcher crashes on your BIOS, you could try using Fassl's DSDT patcher from within OSX, that will surely work. That should at least give you DSDT.aml. Then you could use ACPIPatcher to decompile it, add the GMA950 fix by hand and then recompile..patcher is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683

There's also a GUI version by PCWiz (google)