How to recover Vista after formatting the hard drive?

zaplzaplza

4 posts in this topic

I have a Compaq laptop pre-installed with Vista, Since Vista eats so much of memory and I don't like it at all, I formatted the hard drive (not the partition for Vista recovery), and installed XP. Now for some reason, I want to get Vista back, can I use the recovery partition on my hard drive? How? Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

Well im new here but i have downgraded many comps from vista to xp.

what ive found out is that its very helpful to make a backup disk the first time you turn your comp on after purchase.

but idk if it will work but when you boot your comp and as soon as the first screen pops up with the compaq logo

they have options at the bottom such as press F1 for this and stuff there should be a option to system restore but im not sure cause i have a HP laptop dv9000 series.

• 3 weeks later...

well if anything like my dell inspiron 1525 then before you can do the system recovery you need vista already installed on the partition. i upgraded vista to windows 7 a while back but then when i tried recovery to get vista back it wouldn't work and kept failing. so you will probably have to format the partition with xp currently on, do a clean install of vista from disc and then do the recovery...that is presuming that it works the same way as my one did...

scott