Dual boot XP and Retail OSX 10.5.6 - Abit IP35 pro

4 posts in this topic

I have spent many hours scouring this forum and I have learned two things: my wife is getting tired of it and the more I read the less I know...

I have successfully installed a retail DVD OSX 10.5.6 on my IP35pro with a boot-132 and a few kexts. This all resides by itself on a Raptor hdd while my XP resides on another disk (all SATA here). I installed Chameleon but I have no idea what to do with it, I have tried reading up on several topics but am getting lost with the new develpments. So my question is this:

What do I use so that I can ditch the bootCD and get OSX or XP to boot for me. I would like there to be a menu of both options and then have it default into the last one accessed (in case of power failure or something)? Any tips?

I have similar setup/situation as you!!! See my signature. And yes my wife is on my case too :unsure: I have a Retail Leo 10.5.6 disk, but have yet to attempt installing it. Still doing research.

These suggestions might lead you to ditch the boot CD:

Macinized Tutorial It seems to be a solid tutorial - even though I havn't tried it yet, it seems to make the most sense.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstallation, then there's another tutorial that I believe shows how to install/configure Chameleon for booting AFTER Leo install:menoob tutorial

There's also a video on youtube by gulam82: gulam82 tutorial this is part2 of his installation where he shows how to configure Chameleon AFTER leo install (unfortunately it's poor quality video) but perhaps you could understand it.

While the above mentioned tutorials might allow you to ditch boot cd, You might have to go into BIOS on computer startup and change HDD boot order every time on startup. To get a menu at startup, we need to do some more research. Thought: Did you try the "Copy Chain0... into C:\ and edit boot.ini" method listed on the Wiki? Not sure if that works with two separate drives though.

P.S. Kudos to you for getting Retail to work with IP35-Pro, when I do a search on this forum for "Retail" and "IP35-Pro", seems like there's a lot of people having trouble getting it to work. IP35 tutorials are all about hacked distros and seem outdated. I hope you could help me out, especially with getting sound and ethernet working. Later :)

I have spent many hours scouring this forum and I have learned two things: my wife is getting tired of it and the more I read the less I know...

I have successfully installed a retail DVD OSX 10.5.6 on my IP35pro with a boot-132 and a few kexts. This all resides by itself on a Raptor hdd while my XP resides on another disk (all SATA here). I installed Chameleon but I have no idea what to do with it, I have tried reading up on several topics but am getting lost with the new develpments. So my question is this:

What do I use so that I can ditch the bootCD and get OSX or XP to boot for me. I would like there to be a menu of both options and then have it default into the last one accessed (in case of power failure or something)? Any tips?

hey, i am actually in your same situation, i too have an abit ip35 pro, ideneb 10.5.6 already installed with chameleon efi on 160gb hd.

i have a 320gb hd that i want to install xp onto and then make it appear on the chameleon bootloader as a secondary option to boot from. i've been lurking a lot but i haven't been able to find a topic that resembles my issue, only from same disk and with xp or vista already installed.

has anyone gone through this successfully ? im going through the guides posted above...

ps: i have the osx disk formatted as mac OS extended (journaled)

• 1 year later...

hey guys i have same setup as your abit p35 pro q6600. I can't boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and use retail disc. Is it because i'm using an IDE DVDROM ? Are you guys using sata dvdrom? Also how did you setup your bios for the p35 pro? what version of boo t 123 are you using? Thanks ahead guys.l wife is also on my case.

bruno