two Leopard questions

Enrico1985

12 posts in this topic

hi ;)

I have two issues with my Leopard setup (a Kalyway 10.5.1 upgraded to 10.5.3 with Kalyway's Combo update and modbin kernel, booting with Chameleon):

first of all I'd like to upgrade to 10.5.4 but am unable to find the modbin kernel package (I tried the usual places, to no avail :) ). does anyway have a working "hint" about this?

secondly, as my graphics card (an ATI Radeon X300) can't support QE/CI vlc refuses to open videos and gets terminated by OSX.. is there an alternative program or an older version of VLC that can work even w/out OpenGL support?

even though I don't think it's needed, my PC is a Dell Dimension 5000 with a Pentium 4 HT processor.

thanks in advance :P

first of all I'd like to upgrade to 10.5.4 but am unable to find the modbin kernel package (I tried the usual places, to no avail ;) ). does anyway have a working "hint" about this?

Not 100% sure but I don't think there is a modbin 9.4.0 kernel? I can't remember. Anyway; try to find the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel. It's the precursor to the Voodoo Kernel, I used to use it myself on my P4 HT when I was on 10.5.4.

If you can't find it by searching the forums maybe you can extract it from a 10.5.4 OSX86 install DVD - use a program called 'Pacifist'.

Alternatively you can try to go straight to 10.5.5 using an Apple Combo Update, and then use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel. You'll need to do a bit of searching to dig out the old 'upgrade from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5' threads.

Try to find the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel. It's the precursor to the Voodoo Kernel, I used to use it myself on my P4 HT when I was on 10.5.4.

found it.. I guess this just needs to be unzipped to the proper folders :(

Alternatively you can try to go straight to 10.5.5 using an Apple Combo Update, and then use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel. You'll need to do a bit of searching to dig out the old 'upgrade from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5' threads.

I tried to do the direct jump using Voodoo kernel but it wouldn't detect the harddisk anymore ;)

I tried to do the direct jump using Voodoo kernel but it wouldn't detect the harddisk anymore ;)

That's fixable. You were probably using patched drivers that got overwritten by the update.

Rule number one is - know your hardware. That's is what happens when you don't!

About the kernel - you can use OSX86Tools to install it properly - or you can search the forums for the correct commands to type in terminal to set the right permissions on the kernel etc etc.

That's fixable. You were probably using patched drivers that got overwritten by the update.

Rule number one is - know your hardware. That's is what happens when you don't!

mine is an Intel SATA controller.. I probably should have known just what kexts are needed, so I could try and replace them after the update :(

About the kernel - you can use OSX86Tools to install it properly - or you can search the forums for the correct commands to type in terminal to set the right permissions on the kernel etc etc.

it worked ;)

if I wanted to move to 10.5.5 with my hardware specs (given below) what would I need (beyond the update package itself of course)?

So you're on 10.5.4 now? Good work.

You would need, at the minimum:

Apple 10.5.5 delta update:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1055update.html

Latest Chameleon Bootloader:

(search google - link not allowed for some twisted reason)

the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel - comes with its own installer:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

And a backup of any modified kexts that you are using now. How to know which ones are patched? Research.

So you're on 10.5.4 now? Good work.

You would need, at the minimum:

Apple 10.5.5 delta update:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1055update.html

Latest Chameleon Bootloader:

(search google - link not allowed for some twisted reason)

the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel - comes with its own installer:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

I already have all of these ;)

And a backup of any modified kexts that you are using now. How to know which ones are patched? Research.

I think the main one is the hard disk controller, but I couldn't figure it out last time I tried :)

If your drives are SATA and ICH6 is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS, you should be able to install the update even if it overrides the drivers for the SATA controller.

I'm not sure about how it is on ICH6 but what will probably happen is that it the update will reinstall it as Generic SATA controller and your drive icons will be orange, but it will work.

Then you need to find one of the many patched ICHx drivers here on the forums (I don't know if they HAVE to be for 10.5.5 or if you can use 10.5.6 ones - they'll be easier to find) to get the controller properly identified as ICH6 and get the grey drive icons back.

That's how it should go.. I've only done this on ICH5 and ICH10R (see signature) and that's how it works on those.

Read the .pdf that comes with the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, you don't need a disabler anymore for AppleIntelCPUblabla.kext, and there's other important stuff to know.

It's probably best if you install the kernel and the chameleon bootloader before running the update itself.

Dunno.. I'm not familiar with dd.

If you have a spare hard drive you could try restoring the backup to it and see if it works.

I figured it out myself.. It will work perfectly, but it copies EVERYTHING on the partition (empty space included) which makes the image file too large for my disk's configuration.. I guess I'll just make a compressed image with Disk Utility on the second hard drive